• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Miss at all RPMs

Latest news on this: I just got back up to college. I went as planned and used an infrared temp gun. I found number 1 was 40-50 deg cooler than the rest. Number 6  was 10-20 degrees cooler than the rest as well. I decided to replace both of those crossover tubes to see if that would fix my issue. It definitely helped some, as the miss only sounds half as harsh as it did before and the exhaust has a less harsh miss feel to it. I didn't not have time to pull the valve cover and loosen the injectors before installing the new tubes.... So I'm hoping that is my issue. I forgot my temp gun at home so I won't be able to use that when diagnosing for the next couple days. Any thoughts guys?

both ends will be cooler. they are not 'sharing' heat from another cylinder.

Every 6 cylinder I've ever tested does this... running good or not.

* this is really evident for initial warm up* They (ends) take longer to build heat. Even after fully heated, they like to be somewhat cooler.

Most 'dead' cylinders I've gunned, were usually 100 degrees or more cooler than 'good' cylinders.

Edited by rancherman

I meant to say, 10-50 degrees isn't really that far out of the 'normal', even in a perfect engine..

A completely dead cylinder will make hot air just from the compression, (as long as you don't have a valve issue) and will be around 100 degrees cooler than a live firing one. (at idle)

I think you're on the right track.. fuel delivery.

I did a little driving this morning. It seems like the miss gets somewhat worse as temperature increases. I also have fuel coming out of #3 and #4 next to the head. I will have to check and see if that is the O ring leaking or the injector line not seating against the crossover tube. 

I torqued each one to 89 in-pounds per cummins specs. I'm thinking loosen the injector lines, loosen the injector hold downs, snug the injector line, and re-torque the injector hold downs. That should make sure the crossover tube is properly seated into the injector. 

I have narrowed it down to one of the three rear cylinders. This morning it was 12deg F! Flipped to 3 cyl high idle and it was obvious that the miss was still there. What is the best way to check those cylinder temps? With the engine warm or the engine cold? Thanks guys

Let it warm up, but not to much. You don't want to heat soak the engine or manifold before temps are taken. I would let the temp gauge just come off the bottom then check each runner. Also check all six and write the numbers down. I would also check them more than one time so you can see a pattern to the temps.

before I bought my IR temp gun, I'd just wet a finger, and go right down each cylinder immediately after a cold start. It only worked for a couple minutes, cause even a dead cylinder will get the manifold hotter than 212.

I'd usually find 5 cylinders that would "psssst' under my finger, and the 1 dead one would only leave a wet fingerprint. About half my engines use a manifold that shares pairs of cylinders for the exhaust, which makes it even tougher to isolate

Highly unscientific, but it gave me a clue on where to start!

before I bought my IR temp gun, I'd just wet a finger, and go right down each cylinder immediately after a cold start. It only worked for a couple minutes, cause even a dead cylinder will get the manifold hotter than 212.

I'd usually find 5 cylinders that would "psssst' under my finger, and the 1 dead one would only leave a wet fingerprint. About half my engines use a manifold that shares pairs of cylinders for the exhaust, which makes it even tougher to isolate

Thanks for the tips! It is supposed to be down to 0deg F tonight... I don't thing I will be working on it till the weekend! On a positive note at 12deg F this morning it fired just as fast as it does when it's 100 out

Just used this this morning! Engine temp was 15deg F and I started it popped the hood and felt each runner individually. I figured One and 6 would be the coolest, which they were but 6 did NOT warm up much (I could hear it missing). The other 5 got hot enough I couldn't keep my fingers on them but 6 stayed relatively cool. I believe it is just the tube not seating into the injector properly.

My strategic approach got kicked in the face from having no time and this wave of storms. I will keep this thread updated whenever I manage to tear things apart. I plan to pull valve cover, loosen all injectors, pull all of the fuel lines and clean up the mating surface, pull crossover tubes  and clean mating surfaces, then re-install everything in the proper order. If that doesn't work I guess it's compression testing time

Alright update here I want to know your thoughts. I picked up a set of crossover tubes from a guy for 50 bucks. They had been drilled to .093 and he said they worked great on his truck but he sold the truck and pulled the aftermarkets. I figured for 50 bucks I'm not losing much and at least I know none of the tubes are plugged. I pulled all of the injection lines, cleaned the ends with a scotchbrite pad and blew them out really well. I then  pulled all 6 exhaust rockers and loosened up the injector hold downs. (Yes I kept the rockers in order 1-6) I then installed the crossover tubes and injection lines. I snugged each line then tightened the injector hold down for all 6. I then threw everything back together and got it running. I was out in 22 degree weather standing in the snow so it was pretty miserable. Well my miss is not gone.... I tried loosening each injector line and re tightening with no luck.

Ok here's the twist to all of this! As I was driving home from my sisters birthday party tonight (Before installing the new tubes) it started to run smooth... but only for 4 or 5 seconds at a time then went back to missing. Now with the new tubes it was doing this on the high idle. It would miss for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute then run smooth for 4 or 5 seconds. I finally got pissed enough and called it a night at midnight. What do you guys think it could be given these new symptoms? I still have the smarty on level 1 so I guess I can return everything to stock and see what it does. Oh and no codes and 20psi fuel pressure. Sorry about the ramble! Looking forward to hearing from everyone

I just got a video I think you can hear pretty well. Make sure your sound is all the way up!

As you can tell it is NOT a completely dead cylinder but you can hear the "knock" I guess of it missing a bit

Edited by TFaoro

Alright I just went out and tested all cylinder temps when the engine was 85 deg. After about 1-1.5 minutes running, #1 was 135-140F I measured it all around the manifold right next to the head. I could keep my hand on it for quite a while without burning it. All other cylinders were 165-170 F. I Do you guys think that is conclusive enough to say #1 is my problem? Where do I go next? Swap injectors with #3?? I'm kinda lost at this point