• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

smarty s06 pod and towing....

Killer223

so as per some advise i've had here n there., i'm runing my smarty at Revo SW7 Timing 2, Torque 3, Rail Pressure 2,

on to my questions.. it has the POD. i like to tow my 5er 12K do i have to reflash or can i use the pod to say 50% or 75%.?

i do NOT have gauges. last weekend i took the 5er out for coues deer hunting, but i reflashed to stock software to keep engine safe., would using the POD let me keep it on SW7?

thoughts please.

Thanks.

I don't tow a 5er but I carry a 12 foot tall slide in camper that puts nearly 8k on the rear axle and I pull a boat on a double axle trailer for a total gvw of 16.5k.

I have run SW5, SW7 and SW9 with this setup but I have gauges and I watch things very closely.  I have been all over the NW with it's mountains and have been able to keep egts in check.  I have had to shift down or slow down at times but have done fine.

With my various trips and trying various settings I have found the timing I get in SW9 gives my truck the best mileage so I have started running SW9 on timing 2, torque 3 and rail pressure 2 but using POD so I can cut back on the fueling etc. but keep the advanced timing and have found my best mpg thus far at POD @ 70 in that SW9 setting.  Watching my gauges I didn't have to make any adjustments on my throttle or speed at that setting either.

Now I know every truck is going to like or dislike various settings but I am not running into any trouble by driving sensibly for the conditions.

I am guessing you are driving sensibly if you have been using SW7 on a bone A$$ truck or you could run into auto tranny or manual clutch problems if you weren't. 

I would think you could run SW7 with POD at 50%-70% and do fine because you are driving sensibly. :2cents:

Thank you kindly for the advise. As per my other posts, in no where close to hurting this trans. I do drive with an egg under my foot, but I also don't think I'm getting the full use of the Sw7 as I get very little performance gain from the smarty regardless of settings used.

Thanks again.

So I had a similar experience when I first started using the smarty S06 POD.  It seemed really noticeable since I was moving from a gen 2 with a chip and injectors that could spin the wheels from a non boosted launch.

Doing a little research I found the smarty used to have more grunt down low but with the recent SW updates they claim more even power increase across the entire rpm band.  My understanding is the net result of that change is that it doesn't feel like the power is coming on as quick or as strong at the lower rpm bands.  But it continues to grow as the rpm increases.

I know my gen 2 truck is a terror off the line compared to my gen 3 truck but the gen 3 truck will walk away as the rpms move up the scale.

So if you drive your truck with an egg under your foot I think it is much harder to notice any power increases down in the lower rpm ranges with this recent change in SW strategy.

I haven't used torque 4 yet so I can't say how that behaves and  maybe it is really crazy strong in the low end but smoother power and better mpgs is my interest so I am getting along fine with SW9 on POD. :2cents:

• Like 1

• Staff

With an auto trans you will have VERY high rpm shifting with a PoD that low.

In addition PoD only effect the throttle input, so the base tune is the same. At a PoD75 there is still 100% of the power available below 2300ish rpms, dyno verified, so you don't gain anything.

I would reflash, SW7 is too much to run and tow... both without gauges, with a stock turbo, and with a stock auto trans.

I can't say you have been given very good advice if that is what you are running without gauges on a stock trans...

• Like 1

• Staff

thanks for the info. tonight i reprogrammed to SW3, all options at stock, towed the trailer 17 miles. all seemed fine. boost was 22.5 at it's highest then stayed around 13 on level ground.

i need gauges.

thanks again.

Why run SW3 but stock timing?

It's still more fuel than stock, so I wouldn't do that without a pyro.

• 2 weeks later...