• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dealer says high idle won't work because of remote starter/alarm

I took my 2002 HO cummins with the 6 speed manual transmission to the dealer the to have the 3 and 6 cylinder high idle enabled . They said it was to warm to try it but said it was enabled . I've had a chance to test it in -18C, or 0F. Nothing happened after 10 minutes. I called them and they said my remote starter and alarm probably isn't letting it work. Has anyone else ran into this or heard this?

If it is enabled your throttle sensor might not be reading zero. Iirc... Mike had some numbers on what resistance it should read at idle... ie zero acc El pedal position.

Edited by CSM

With my DRB 3 scan tool you just go in to owner preferences ( I think thats what it says) and there is a heading to enable high idle.

You just click the yes arrow and its done.

I should be doing this for people ...bring me a coffee.

Only takes about 2 minutes and I am not "good" at it yet. 

Regards Chris 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally had a chance to bring the truck back to the dealer. I told them that it wasn't working and that this time I wanted to watch the technition check that it was enabled. Turns out it was not enabled. It was called 3 cylinder high idle . It made sure it was enabledthis time. I tried it out this evening and it works!! In the 6 cylinder mode anyway. It was in the garage so maybe that's why the 3 cylinder high idle never kicked in.

• Owner

The throttle is true. On my 02 my apps was going bad because I could see my throttle position on my adrenaline monitor, and every once in awhile would show 1% and my high idle wouldnt work

If the IVS switch is grounded for idle then the APPS voltage is ignored and the idle software is used. Not if the IVS is ground for Throttling then the APPS sensor voltage is used and set the engine RPM to match. All based on IVS switch depends on which leg is grounded or not.