• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd vp44 still no pump fuel to injectors

I had intermittent dead throttle which was getting worse.

In Dec. I ordered a rebuilt vp44 from Midwest. Installed pump. Tried everything to get it to pump. Cranked for days with all injector lines cracked, 3 cracked, 1 cracked -- every configuration you could think of. Checked connections. Lots of fuel at input to pump. Running in-tank and stock pumps. Consulted here, justanswer, etc.

Conclusion bad pump. Returned to Midwest and got replacement.

Replacement no better. No fuel to output side of pump. Obviously nothing at injector lines. Lots of fuel at inlet. Nothing from return.

Do I have really bad luck with pumps? And have gotten two bad rebuilt ones?

Is there something I am missing?

This really sucks.

In the meantime I bought a Ford F450 Powerstroke to get my stuff home to TX from AZ and that died outside PHX and cost me $8500 to get home and the dealer refuses to do anything about it.

Just who have I pissed off?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might want to contact http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html with your story of woe. I know you did not buy the pump from him, and maybe he will not assist you? But other then going to the Cummins dealer, it might be worth a shot, better email him soon. He usually is done for the weekend Friday afternoon, eastern time, and you wont hear back until Monday. And he knows these VP44s.

In Dec. I ordered a rebuilt vp44 from Midwest. Installed pump. Tried everything to get it to pump. Cranked for days with all injector lines cracked, 3 cracked, 1 cracked -- every configuration you could think of. Checked connections. Lots of fuel at input to pump. Running in-tank and stock pumps. Consulted here, justanswer, etc.

Replacement no better. No fuel to output side of pump. Obviously nothing at injector lines. Lots of fuel at inlet. Nothing from return.

This really sucks.

In the meantime I bought a Ford F450 Powerstroke to get my stuff home to TX from AZ and that died outside PHX and cost me $8500 to get home and the dealer refuses to do anything about it.

My suggestion would be ..drive that Ford back to Texas and about a minute before you get there call the guy that sold it to you and tell him your bringing it back for your money..and soon as you see their building...Floor it! Give them a showroom truck :mad:. I would be livid, small claims court an option for you? Unless they had as is on your slip,it may be worth a try :pray:

• Owner

Well thats a sign of APPS or a bad injection pump... APPS sensor always throws a code...

Did you bother to check the connector at the VP44 for +12V power and good ground?

This really sucks.

Man that sucks...

I don't know but that is really a bad stroke of luck there...

Head over to the VP44 error code list and read some of the diagnostic it might give a clue...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/vp44-replace/vp44-error.htm

One attorney tells me the "as is" is killing me. As with the vast majority of used vehicles it was sold as is. But most people would thing that if it has a major failure in a week or a small amount of mileage the seller should do something about it. Slimy Covert Bastrop says they will not.

My suggestion would be ..drive that Ford back to Texas and about a minute before you get there call the guy that sold it to you and tell him your bringing it back for your money..and soon as you see their building...Floor it! Give them a showroom truck :mad:. I would be livid, small claims court an option for you? Unless they had as is on your slip,it may be worth a try :pray:

When I was driving, I started thinking about this frustrating problem. Just wondering, did you try cracking the injector lines at the VP44 to see if fuel is being injected there? Did you consider removing the banjo return bolt from the VP44 to be sure you are getting fuel through the VP44 from the lift pump? I assume you are getting the required voltage to the VP44?

• 5 months later...

OK...YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS...or MAYBE YOU DIDN'T.....HERE IS THE WAY TO BLEAD AND PRIME THE INJECTORS: first you need to bump the starter" do not start,just bump to engage the lift pump. it should run for approx 20 seconds or so.. loosen the banjo bolt at the VP REPEAT this process until you loosen the banjo and know air is present, if you still have OEM lift pump or youdont get anypressure at the banjo, you might want to take a test light and put on the positive wire and bump the starter to see if pump has power going to it. if you have a AD or FASS you can here it run. after you have blead the system, loosen all or at least1-3-4-5-injectors and bump the starter letting the pump run. as each injector squirts fuel tighten it up. you willhave to repeat this several time...even more i would say in your case because it sounds like you may have it air-locked..after all have squirted fuel and lines have been tighten, try to start truck" only crank for 15-20 seconds at a time allowing 2-minites inbetween cranks..if it still wont start after severals try's, bump the starter again and loosen banjo bolt, if its full of air there is a void somewhere allowing the LP pump to suck air into the system places tolook: THE P.O.S OEM connector on the top of the fuel tank ..at the LP "remember itwill be between the LP AND TANK NOT LP AND VP:thumb1: Hope thiS helps:thumbup2: Richie