• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best compromise fuel economy to price of diesel sedans or wagons?

joecool911

I am going to be looking for a high mileage vehicle. I'm a big guy, so nothing super small. But do you guys have a recommendation for a high mileage diesel? Something pushing 50 mpg that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I asked before about the Passat B4's. Still on my mind as they are roomy and simple to work on.

I am going to be looking for a high mileage vehicle. I'm a big guy, so nothing super small. But do you guys have a recommendation for a high mileage diesel? Something pushing 50 mpg that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I asked before about the Passat B4's. Still on my mind as they are roomy and simple to work on.

W&F listed the big 3...

My conflict is that none of these have AWD. If you don't need to factor in snow weather, its easy. But I face the challenge of finding a diesel AWD that is not too new or spendy. Subaru has a diesel but its too new for me and therefore too expensive. I don't like all them danged bells and whistles!

There are a few Mercedes awd's out thre too. But if it's bad weather I'll just drive the cummins. Want a fuel miser and spend in the $7k range max, preferably less. There are some late 80's to mid 90's for $4k. Pretty impressive looking for the money.

Edited by joecool911

Tom have you used it to turn off or alter the EGR/ PVC settings as to prevent intake clogging any 1.9 l ALH 01-03 years TDI ?

Wifes 03 Jetta TDI has 266K on it and I am wanting her to replace it next summer before its due for the next Timing belt and water pump, it is about due for a clutch, still has the OEM in it and could use a set of Nozzles but I just don't want to stick that much money in a rig with almost 300K on it. It still runs good and the body is still straight rust free and solid as a tank yet just want to get her into something newer, she doesn't want to part with it but she is coming around and starting to look at other AWD car options now. Neither of us are impressed with the new options VW has to offer especially when top mileage ratings of a lot of them on the stickers are only mid to high 30's.

She is looking at crossover suv or awd hatchback something bigger with more cargo room than a compact car. She likes the look of the Nissan Juke a lot, after I bought a 2011 Nissan Murano X-cab convertible last fall she has an even fonder love of Nissan. We always try and rent one when we travel if they have the option and have always loved them over any Ford and Chevy offering. We had a 2015 Chevy Impala last month in Fl. and it was the biggest piece of crap we have ever had as a rental car, was brand new only had 900 miles on it when we picked it up. was very loud in the cab very uncomfortable to sit in and had the turning radius of an extended frame 379 Peterbilt.

Unfortunately it won't work as a tuner.... It will read all the DTCs and allow you to program the car for lots of things, but no tuner type stuff. Far as the EGR on the ALH, I am not familiar with the set up, but on my son's BRM (1.9L 2006) there is a tube that comes from the exhast up to the EGR on the rear of the engine. If you loosen two bolts the tube will allow you to slide a piece of metal in there to block the flow. The ECM looks at the MAF for the EGR flow so it won't set a code or MIL. My son has claimed 48MPG out of his since I was "testing" it.