• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

woodstove talk again....

JAG1

• Owner

I'm a mini version of that. My stove is in the basement as well. But I only got 2 vents for heat to rise up through the floor. With the stove cranked down (3/4 of turn on each vent) I'm still producing 800 to 1,200*F on pyrometer heat. The basement is roughly like 80-90*F it really warm down stairs. But up stairs its a mild 75-78*F. MoparMom loves to hang wet dish towels over the vent in the floor because they are dry in no time.

• Staff

To study convection and  air currents in your home take a kids helium balloon and tie a paper towel to the string. Use scissors and cut small amounts of paper towel off until it floats about mid level in the room upstairs. Open all the doors and watch how the balloon travels under doorways, cools down comes back along the floor all the way back to the woodstove. Keep watching you will learn a lot about your house where air is trapped etc.

That might also indicate where to cut vents for cold air to return back to the woodstove.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner

To study convection and  air currents in your home take a kids helium balloon and tie a paper towel to the string. Use scissors and cut small amounts of paper towel off until it floats about mid level in the room upstairs. Open all the doors and watch how the balloon travels under doorways, cools down comes back along the floor all the way back to the woodstove. Keep watching you will learn a lot about your house where air is trapped etc.

That might also indicate where to cut vents for cold air to return back to the woodstove.

Extremely great idea... wow! I would of never thought of that. :smart:

• Staff

Thanks Mike, I learned it when my 3 little daughters kept letting their prized balloons go and we'd have to climb up and get them down. We tied longer strings to them but nothing interesting until we figured out how to do a balanced weight to float about. It was real interesting for all of us... about every hour or so here comes this balloon returning along the floor again, get warmed up, rise, go away along the ceiling, even dropping down a bit to clear under doorways.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1