• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hi everyone.  I have a 2001 24 valve Dodge Ram 3500.

Issue: Stopped for around 30 minutes and when went to start my truck, no instruments work and I get bus failure / no CCD.   Truck runs fine with no issues on shifting.  I do get wait to start light and several indicators light up on the cluster but stay lighted (like check engine, abs etc).

ODBII Codes:  P1698, P1694 and then P1698 again.

Cluster Codes: 900, 920, 921, 940 and 950.  Also 999 but I think that is just end of test.

When I go to tranny DTC iwith ODBii scanner,  I get P1687 and P1694

Other comments:  Can't get to engine DTC with ODBii scanner. The scanner says it is unable to establish communications.

Things I have done:

1) Tested voltages at DLC in cab.  Nothing on pins 3 and 11.  Pin 14 has around 4.25 volts and pin 16 is 12 v as expected.

2) Pulled central timer module - no effect.

3) pulled plug on ABS - no effect

4) pulled radio bus plug - no effect

5) pulled PCM plug 3 (nearest to fender) - no effect.

Again, unit runs fine and shifts fine.  I can get live data on my ODBii scan tool to include ECT, MAP, speed, RPM, TPS etc.   I have also noted that my seat heaters don't appear to be working since this happened, however when I unplug the CTM, I still have the no cluster, no ccd issue.

Any help will really be appreciated.  This is the kind of problem that dealers will eat me alive on hourly charges.

Thanks, 

Bill

2001 Dodge Ram 3500 24 v.

• Owner

Thanks Hotboater for jumping on the forum.

I suggested that he try Yankneck's idea of cycling all plugs 3 times with di-electric grease to hopeful recover the connection some where. Seems odd that the OBDII port is still bringing data to devices from the device that have problems? But then the cluster is non-functional.

Help me out guys.

Does anyone know what pin 6, 7 and 14 (SCI) on the data link connector are used for?   I know pins 3 and 11 are CCD.   I am trying to figure out why I am getting live data on my ODBii scanner such as speed, engine coolant temp, RPM etc and yet my cluster shows nothing.   I was wondering if SCI is a link to the ECM or PCM that bypasses the CCD bus for the ODBii scanner.   Furthermore is the data is coming to my scan tool on the SCI pins of the DLC, does that mean my PCM is ok?   Any guidance?    Thanks, Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I had much the same thing, losing three of my gauges, getting the CCD error message and so on.

Turned out that it was the ECM that was faulty. We fussed and fussed with it for months and I finally gave up and took it into a good shop and they spent a day troubleshooting only to find out our worst fears.

With the troubleshooting and installation, they got a new (or possibly overhauled) ECM from Dodge and the bill was $1950.... but a month later it works fine in all modes.