• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AAM 11.5 questions.

Killer223

so searching i've found several GM posi or G80 lockers for the GM 11.5 rear axle. well i think my 04 has this same axle. would this locker work?? i've not been able to find any advertisement tell me that it'll work in GM or Ram applications.

anyone here know?

right now i have an open in the front and rear. so even in 4x4 i have 2 wd. i'd like at least 3. i hate having to use 4wd on the slightest of slippery roads.

Should drop right in, GM, Dodge and Ford all ran the AAM for a couple years but Ford went back to Dana again after they released a bigger diff then the D80.

When I picked up the factory LS unit for my 05 there were a ton of options for the AAM 11.5. I went with an OEM LS unit as it was the most economical unit at the time, I am not overly sold on its operation it is a load /slip sensing LS it acts as an open diff until is senses slip and it then locks but is slow to engage if going slow on very slick surfaces like green grass, ice mud ect,  I still get one wheel wonder at times, I need to goose it to get enough momentum or slippage difference for it to lock. I would look for a clutch type if I had to do it again.

who makes the OEM one? i know the G80 is what comes in the Chevy's from the factory, my dad has an 09 Duramax with it in it. it sure is nice compared to my open.

i've found a rebuild G80 for 500. i think i can install it if i can find a case spreader.

thanks again.

You do not need a case spreader for an AAM as they have adjuster rings for the carrier bearings not shimmed like a Dana which over the years and hundreds of Danas I have rebuilt have never ever needed a case spreader, having worked in a gear shop we had one but never did a single person ever use the dana case spreader, just hung on the rack collecting dust and rusting.

Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from the Gov lock "G80", they are not reliable and are a pain to repair and do not perform very well, there are too many parts that can and do fail in the gov locks, they over complicated a simple task with the design of that unit. :2cents:

Go with an OEM which is a helical design or a clutch type and save the hassles.

• Staff

My experience with G80 vs open is that I prefer open, at least it's predictable. The G80's are known to "lock" when you don't want it (ice/off camber snow/etc) and not "lock" when you do need it.

The AAM helical gear design has been great and provides excellent lateral traction in winter.

Another helical option is the Detroit Tru-Trac. http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=6890&Product=TT_915A568&Brand=Eaton_Posi&ShowAA=True&Year=2006&Model=Ram%203500%201%20Ton&DriveType=Rear%20Diff%20-%204WD&DiffId=259&Source=DiffWizard

• Like 2

My experience with G80 vs open is that I prefer open, at least it's predictable. The G80's are known to "lock" when you don't want it (ice/off camber snow/etc) and not "lock" when you do need it.

The AAM helical gear design has been great and provides excellent lateral traction in winter.

Another helical option is the Detroit Tru-Trac. http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=6890&Product=TT_915A568&Brand=Eaton_Posi&ShowAA=True&Year=2006&Model=Ram%203500%201%20Ton&DriveType=Rear%20Diff%20-%204WD&DiffId=259&Source=DiffWizard

As long as you are already rolling it does, :wink:  from a dead start on very slick surfaces I have been stuck one wheeling it many times reaching for the t-case lever.

• Staff

As long as you are already rolling it does, :wink:  from a dead start on very slick surfaces I have been stuck one wheeling it many times reaching for the t-case lever.

I have more issues with the torque than I do with 1 tire fire, but unlike a clutch style the rear end doesn't want to walk around on me.

Starting and stopping in 2wd on slick surfaces with a torquey diesel and a manual takes 4wd anyhow...

• Like 1