• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Floating NV4500 gears

This may be a dumb question but will floating the tranny and not using clutch cause damage. I use clutch in first and reverse and downshifting. I never grind them but its not a eaton-fuller either. I have a south bend double disk clutch and get tired of doing leg lifts while driving. any info would be great. Thanks

I think the best way is to push in the clutch and get in the next gear and let back out on clutch as the engine rpm drops. Eh, let me elaborate.. When you are doing the thing without the clutch, you are matching rpm to trans rpm.. By getting it in the next gear as the engine rpm drops and letting out right as the engine drops to where the next gear will be at that speed, you basically reduce most clutch wear since they are synced. You have to be quick at this obviously. I notice you have a lot of leeway with a 24v, they seem to rev down much slower than mine. I have to really go fast at shifting to hit the syncs but I think it could be done easily on a 24v. By doing it that way, you can reduce clutch wear and make it last a very very long time and ensure your synchros last just as long. Mine need replacing and it will hardly go into 2nd unless I am going <5mph. If you are good at syncing the gears, to the point the syncros aren't having to do anything, then I don't see any problem.

I would think it would make the synchro's last longer if you were doing it properly and matching the rpm's as you would think the two shafts would be spinning at the same speed so no synchro friction would occur. Whereas with a normal shift using the clutch the shafts are at different speeds and the synchro serves it's purpose by bringing them to the same speed. That's if you aren't relying on the synchro's to make the shift though. If you are you are either going to grind or really increase the wear on the synchro. Being that the vehicle is designed to operate using a clutch I would just continue doing so.