• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

vp44 and hy35 questions

Hi guys,  I want to know if I can tap the hole in the hy35 housing where the metal hose goes for the wastegate.   I want to put the elbow that come with the edge jwa for increase boost?? Does it work or I'm better with a j-hook to increase boost??  

Second question.  For my 2001 24v automatic, does this vp44 pump #BOSH 0470506005 ---- #CUMMINS 3676670  fit directly on my truck or I need to get another key for the shaft??   If its bolt-on right with no problems??   I found one near.  guys want 500$ new and said its for 1998-1999.  It's a close enterprise ...  

Thank you  

• Owner

Better off upgrading to a HX35W turbo then using the boost elbow on the HX35W turbo. Your Upgrading from 9cm2 to 12cm2 exhaust housing and better EGT control.

As for the VP44 I have a hard time buying a VP44 for less than $1000.00 typically there is some sort of hidden issue like warranties, it wasn't rebuilt at all, maybe rebuilt but never calibrated and re-used a old PSG unit. As for the part number I'm not sure at all.

• Like 1

As for the VP44 I have a hard time buying a VP44 for less than $1000.00 typically there is some sort of hidden issue like warranties, it wasn't rebuilt at all, maybe rebuilt but never calibrated and re-used a old PSG unit. As for the part number I'm not sure at all.

Sounds to me like it's a used VP....Frankstein am I right? If it is used and he will let you get the truck running before buying I would buy it... Trying to get a little bit off that price though!

I'm glad you posted this. I don't mean to high hack your thread but I just bought a used pump for $300+some spare parts I wasn't using. I was attempting my first VP swap today and I got the my VP out but when I went to put the new one in I noticed the key ways are different depths. The key doesn't even come close to going all the way in the key way. Would it be a huge no no to have someone cut the key way deeper? I'm afraid that even with a different key the key way isn't deep enough. I'm in a hard spot because the truck is my dd and I have to get it running tomorrow because I have to go back to work Friday.

Sounds like it's just half way out. Try using a brass hammer to gently tap it into the VP shaft.

If the previous owner just stuck the wrong key in it you should use the one from the pump you removed. Don't retrofit the key way. It could throw the timing off

I just see the VP44 in a add, I think it's new!!  not sure if rebuild or calibrated.  But it's a diesel shop near my house . closed business and they liquidated his stuff.  it's 500$ CAD  ,  I live in Quebec ...     I want to know if it's a good deal or I take big chance..  for now my VP run good  its just for safety and economy for futur!!      And want to know like rubberduck01 said  if the keyway is all the same 98-02 and fit direct bolt on without modification for all this year..  if its interchangeable! 

Thanks guys  and sorry for my english  not so good!!!!

• Owner

Keyway are all interchangeable.

But do the VP44 have the right key in the shaft? It should be stamped with a number on the body of the pump and the number on the key should match.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/314-bosch-vp44-injection-pump-key-part-numbers

keyway-fig33.jpg

pump-data-fig35.jpg

Do what about making the key way deeper in the pump I just bought???

If it's the correct keyway, tap it in with a brass hammer.

If it's the incorrect keyway you are going to have to remove the keyway from the old pump and install it into the new one

• Owner

If it's the correct keyway, tap it in with a brass hammer.

If it's the incorrect keyway you are going to have to remove the keyway from the old pump and install it into the new one

Whoa! You can't mix keys. The key that is calibrated to the pump has to stay with the pump. Now using the number stamped on the body you could order a another matching key. But I can't see the key being taller. :think:

Whoa! You can't mix keys. The key that is calibrated to the pump has to stay with the pump. Now using the number stamped on the body you could order a another matching key. But I can't see the key being taller. :think:

Mike, the change is so small you can interchange them without throwing the timing off. It has been done successfully many times.

• 1 month later...

Im referring to your question about the VP Pump

It most likely will be ok, But now any issues that pop up, this will always be hanging out there and will be the first place you look for the cause/.....just say'n :2cents:

rburks

***I also suggest to make a note of this and remember to include with any future post regarding issues with motor, might even want to print it on a piece of tape and put somewhere under hood or in door seal 

Edited by rburks

• 2 weeks later...