• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blackstone lab/ oil reports

Just got my second oil sample back from Blackstone and all looked good except silicone. What causes silicone levels to be high? I thought it was air filter but it had a new Bhaf the entire run. Had stock air box and clean looking filter when I got it and silicone was high then too.

post-265-0-67942100-1429813574_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-67352900-1429813603_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98whitelightnin

How and where do you pull the sample? This alone can make or break a samples integrity. Make sure your intake tube clamps are tight pull the intake tube off and see if there is a layer of dust inside of it or not.

Also with it idling use some ether or brake cleaner and spray around the intercooler boots and especially the intake area on top of the head and around the grid heater gasket area.

• Staff

Which BHAF are you using? Big doesn't always mean adequate filtration or flow ratings. 

Your report shows why I cannot stand Blackstone reports... the single biggest thing effecting oil life is an extra cost with them. Without TBN you have zero clue how your oil is holding up, it could be good for lots more life or could be completely done. 

Why only 2500 miles on a sample?

• Like 1

Which BHAF are you using? Big doesn't always mean adequate filtration or flow ratings. 

Your report shows why I cannot stand Blackstone reports... the single biggest thing effecting oil life is an extra cost with them. Without TBN you have zero clue how your oil is holding up, it could be good for lots more life or could be completely done. 

Why only 2500 miles on a sample?

Why so angry? LOL Amsoils UOA are $34 (according to their website).

Blackstone is $35 including the TBN.

• Staff

Okay that's not the only reason I don't like Blackstone, the few times I have used them their "technicians" have left a LOT to be desired. They seem to only know what the computer tells them, and not how to acutally read a report. 

You are not factoring in shipping. Blackstone is $35 with TBN, but you pay to ship it. Amsoil is $24.15 with TBN and you pay to ship it. 

So you pay $10 more to get the same test with crappy techs. 

Amsoils website says $34 not $24. If they include the shipping that is a first, they certainly gouge you on other things so I suppose it all works out in the end.

Maybe the $24 is the member only price. But there is another cost.

OK, so $34 shipped vs $37 and change shipped.

Edited by diesel4life

• Staff

Amsoils website says $34 not $24.

As I mentioned you are looking at the shipping prepaid items. If you compare like items (as you have to pay out of pocket to ship to Blackstone as well), the price is $24.15.

FWIW if you are an Amsoil preferred member the cost is $25.75 with shipping or $17.95 w/out.

I am not angry in the least, I just don't have any confidence in the job that Blackstone is overpaid to do.

post-249-0-87091700-1429824271_thumb.jpg

It's a Baldwin filter, and all my clamps, boots and gaskets seem good. I replaced the intake and horn gasket before this oil change. My boost leak tester shows no leaks. I went 2500 miles on the first oil because the truck was new to me and I wanted to see how it was doing, also the same reason I didn't get a tbn. Got a tbn on this last report and went over 5k miles. Oil was rotella 15w40 but now I'm using premium blue and the oil filter is a Baldwin 7317. The turbo looked really clean when I bought the truck and still looks clean. When I changed the intake gaskets I vacuumed the intake out like crazy when my buddies said fire it up and burn it. I cover the turbo anytime I have the filter off also.

• Staff

OK, so $34 shipped vs $37 and change shipped.

How are you coming up with that????

Blackstone kit is $35 with TBN.

OAI Testing kit is $24.15 with TBN.

Take them both to the USPS or UPS, or whoever and they will cost the same to ship. Amsoil offers prepaid shipping labels but Blackstone doesn't. If you want to compare apples to apples you need to use apples.... Prepaid shipping labels are a convenience,  and are not required.

Anyway you look at the direct cost of the test the OAI kit is cheaper than the Blackstone is without TBN.

It's a Baldwin filter, and all my clamps, boots and gaskets seem good. I replaced the intake and horn gasket before this oil change. My boost leak tester shows no leaks. I went 2500 miles on the first oil because the truck was new to me and I wanted to see how it was doing, also the same reason I didn't get a tbn. Got a tbn on this last report and went over 5k miles. Oil was rotella 15w40 but now I'm using premium blue and the oil filter is a Baldwin 7317. The turbo looked really clean when I bought the truck and still looks clean. When I changed the intake gaskets I vacuumed the intake out like crazy when my buddies said fire it up and burn it. I cover the turbo anytime I have the filter off also.

If it's a new oil I would be especially concerned with TBN, it's a great indicator of how it's holding up. I have seen certain engines not like certain oils and eat up the TBN quickly, even with less than standard wear metals.

What model filter?

I believe its still you. Ryan was simply asking questions on his report, not personal preference or who or why you dont like somebody. You came right out and slammed Blackstone over charging for TBN, yet with Amsoils non member pricing and extraordinary pre paid shipping they are within a few bucks of each other. No matter how you slice your apples to oranges comparison, that's how it is. Then you felt compelled to tell how incompetent Blackstone is. I really have no opinion here as Ive not personally dealt with any of their lab techs.

I generally read my own oil reports.

• Staff

I believe its still you. Ryan was simply asking questions on his report, not personal preference or who or why you dont like somebody. You came right out and slammed Blackstone over charging for TBN, yet with Amsoils non member pricing and extraordinary pre paid shipping they are within a few bucks of each other. No matter how you slice your apples to oranges comparison, that's how it is. Then you felt compelled to tell how incompetent Blackstone is. I really have no opinion here as Ive not personally dealt with any of their lab techs.

I generally read my own oil reports.

$10 is a few bucks??? It's 140% of the cost for the same report with the same shipping.

He was asking about his Blackstone report, and based on their BS charge $10 more for TBN the report doesn't tell him how the oil is working in the engine. How is one to know what is high and low based on how Blackstone does their universal averages anyhow. He really doesn't know if it looks good or not, TBN is quite important.

Blackstone has a bad rap for a reason....

OAI Testing also happens to be who Rocky Mountain Cummins recommends, and they don't deal or use Amsoil.

First, he never asked about or wanted a TBN based on his mileage, so Im not sure why that's even being discussed.

Amsoil is the worst offender of over charging for goods or shipping, kinda like the pot calling the kettle black eh?

This is the humorous part of all of this. Amsoils pre paid samples are $34 including shipping. Blackstone charges $35 and you cover shipping at the post office which is less than $3 for me. So all in all, we are arguing over less than $4? Why is this a big deal?

Edited by diesel4life

• Staff

Amsoil is ONLY $34 if the purchaser WANTS it. It is an OPTION, as has been stated many many times. The difference is $10, but you can justify it anyway you want.

I have never seen an issue with Amsoil shipping, they just show you the cost vs many places incorporating it into the shelf price. In the end it's all what the consumer thinks is a better deal, but you pay the shipping/handling costs either way. Is it expensive to buy a hydraulic fitting from them? yes! They are set up for large/heavy shipments.

• Staff

LOL! Spoken like a true rep, John.

Ryan, sorry for wrecking your thread. It certainly wasn't intentional.

What does a rep, which I am not, have to do with an online purchase? No human interaction needed, just make the choice you want.

Options are just that, options. Some people obviously feel that a prepaid shipping label is worth a few extra bucks and some don't so they offer both options.

I'd say it was 100% intentional on your part, by the simple fact that you are trying to convince us that $4 and $10 are the same. I really cannot figure out how $10 is the same as $4. But if you really think they why don't you ship me all your $10's and I'll send back $4 for every $10 you send me.