• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for suggestion.....

Got off the phone with Jeff at Goerends transmission today and felt a little light headed. I explained what my intentions for the truck, around 400 horse and more aimed towards towing my car trailer and 31 ford, than hauling ships or mining equipment. But I'm going to over build it so if I ever have to...  We came up with a list of parts and I figured I'd ask around here to see what others have to say from experience. My truck just shy of 167k so I'll be rebuilding the whole transmission. not just replacing the torque converter and valve body. Anyway the list of parts are as follows,

Master rebuild kit

2.5 quart added capacity transmission pan

Billet input shaft

Valve body

Triple disk torque converter

Now in my reading some may say the input shaft and torque converter are overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I'm sure I can shop around and find better prices on some of the parts, but I'd rather buy everything from one place and have it all shipped at once rather than 6 different places. I also questioned Jeff about upgrading to the 48re planets, and he said it wasn't necessary unless I was going to plow snow.  My question for you is, Is there anything else I should be considering parts wise or am I pretty well covered with what I got?

I've had my gen 2 and gen 3 auto transmissions rebuilt.

The gen 2 because I had to (it died) and the gen 3 because I wanted to for the intended use of the truck.

The gen 3 was the most extensive due to the fact that it was going to be worked much harder (heavier loads and an engine that was higher hp)

The gen 2 was a master rebuild (with one extra clutch disk) with HD single disk billet low stall converter, valve body, billet band anchor, kevlar band, govenor solenoid and transducer, drum and low and O/D sprag.  There may have been a few other misc parts.

The gen 3 has an exhaust brake and I tow and carry a load in the bed so this rebuild included master rebuild kit along with billet input shaft, valve body, billet band strut and anchor, replaced all plastic servos with high performance ones, billet accumulator, stronger 3-4 accumulator spring, billet flex plate, 3 disk low stall billet converter, roller thrust bearings and a few other misc goodies.

Both tranny's have worked well but the gen 3 tranny is worked much harder due to exhaust brake, loads on the truck and higher engine hp.  This also caused me to replace the flex plate on the gen3 but not on the gen 2.

I don't race or do competition pulls so I didn't replace the intermediate or output shafts on the gen 3.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :2cents:

I've had my gen 2 and gen 3 auto transmissions rebuilt.

The gen 2 because I had to (it died) and the gen 3 because I wanted to for the intended use of the truck.

The gen 3 was the most extensive due to the fact that it was going to be worked much harder (heavier loads and an engine that was higher hp)

The gen 2 was a master rebuild (with one extra clutch disk) with HD single disk billet low stall converter, valve body, billet band anchor, kevlar band, govenor solenoid and transducer, drum and low and O/D sprag. There may have been a few other misc parts.

The gen 3 has an exhaust brake and I tow and carry a load in the bed so this rebuild included master rebuild kit along with billet input shaft, valve body, billet band strut and anchor, replaced all plastic servos with high performance ones, billet accumulator, stronger 3-4 accumulator spring, billet flex plate, 3 disk low stall billet converter, roller thrust bearings and a few other misc goodies.

Both tranny's have worked well but the gen 3 tranny is worked much harder due to exhaust brake, loads on the truck and higher engine hp. This also caused me to replace the flex plate on the gen3 but not on the gen 2.

I don't race or do competition pulls so I didn't replace the intermediate or output shafts on the gen 3.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :2cents:

That sums it up for me as I know nothing about automatic trannys other then most of the time they are expensive to fix.

That sums it up for me as I know nothing about automatic trannys other then most of the time they are expensive to fix.

That is the main reason I went with a manny. Replaced a NV5600 lately. Pretty pricey too, though not as bad as a built auto I guess.

That is the main reason I went with a manny. Replaced a NV5600 lately. Pretty pricey too, though not as bad as a built auto I guess.

For some reason I could always fix gears and mechanical stuff but an auto is a bit different and the only one so far that I rebuilt and it didn't blow up yet is my trail truck th350. Other than that I always sold or scraped a vehicle that needed auto redone, and never lost money that way. But I'm talking about something older and maybe worth few thousand bucks not much more and when scrap metal worth risking a flat tire.