• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Want Cummins in Dodge Van anybody done it

I use my truck for work every day, its a tool box and a hauler. I've been considering getting Van to use as a drier tool box seen as I live in the Pacific NW, and I keep putting more tools in truck and have to decide which ones get to ride in back more often than not. So, I use to drive vans and I thought it would be cool to put a 2nd or 3rd gen engine in van. Has anybody seen this done or know anybody that has done it. Does the 5.9 fit is the biggest question I have? Thanks for your input

• Owner

Like all conversion project is the question is the front suspension going to hold the weight of the massive Cummins? Then the size of fit is next problem. I would say most likely it would fit being that the 1st Gen Dodge you could swap 12V or V8 in the same frame without much work at all. I think the dog house inside the cab might need some customizing to fit the long engine and room for the turbo and exhaust.

My first thought was a bread truck type...  yes it's big...  I used to do install work out of a SRW GMC box truck with a van nose.  I built up a mobile shop in the back.  I built a bench down the left side & a shelf underneath.  All my bench top tools clamped in place if they needed to secured.  I had the bench wired for power down the front edge...  I could back the truck up to an outlet & go to work.  If I used a power tool on top, when I set it on the shelf, the cords no longer crossed the work area.  

The opposite side was bins & drawers for materials...  ladders above bungied on pegs.     

• Like 1

Would be easier to buy a Dodge Sprinter van with a Mercedes diesel or buy a Cargo bread type van body truck with a cummins already it, they can be had extremely cheap.

Easy but BORING!

I say go for the van project, preferably a 70s era dodge panel van. You'll definitely have to massage the firewall and customize the doghouse. Beef up the suspension and frame. Probably custom radiator/intercooler. That's the short list but I think it would be a pretty cool project.

Was looking more for project, can't do shell cause I need open truck 1/2 the time. I used to work out of Chev Aluminum bodied step van with 454 with 4:10 gears, pass everything but a gas station and it was great to work out of, it was set up well by a friend. I was thinking 70s or 80s 3/4 or 1 ton 2wd 24 valve w/7100 pump. I would be willing to modify dog house, not so sure about floor around engine. It would definitely have to fit existing hole. My other questions are, is the frame up to the task I don't remember if the frames are boxed on the vans. I have owned a few vans so I know space is a premium, radiator, a/c, intercooler, trans cooler, not sure if there's enough room up there. I'm in the research mode at the moment. Any input is food for thought