• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom made compound turbo set up (turbo sizing question)

jordan

I acquired a Holset turbo off of a 3 cylinder Cummins. the assy. # is 3524121 and the serial # is 1401616. Is this a suitable size turbo to be combined with my stalk turbo on my 92' w250? I took a very close look at my spare turbo and was barely able to make out the model # but it said type-H1C i believe it is the 72mm model, I'm still looking for any info on it's max CFM. In the process i found some very useful info that Holset owners should enjoy (service, repair, and a pocket guide for every Holeset turbo!) :)http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_4-service%20literature.php

• 1 year later...

i got some new info on what i'm doing with my set up, i took my original H1C and put the 12cm housing off the extra turbo on it (i think it was actually a 4bt it came off) i'm going to make a external wastegate to bolt in between it and the manifold. the wastegate and turbo are going to feed a HX40w with what i think has a 16cm housing.... this link should get you close to where the old one was going to send you as-well seeing as how it no longer works http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_4_3-Reference Sheets.php i got some pictures of the setup now, just not bolted on the truck yet here they are post-10236-138698181131_thumb.jpg

post-10236-138698181122_thumb.jpg

post-10236-138698181139_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

i got some new info on what i'm doing with my set up, i took my original H1C and put the 12cm housing off the extra turbo on it (i think it was actually a 4bt it came off) i'm going to make a external wastegate to bolt in between it and the manifold. the wastegate and turbo are going to feed a HX40w with what i think has a 16cm housing.... this link should get you close to where the old one was going to send you as-well seeing as how it no longer works http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_4_3-Reference Sheets.php

i got some pictures of the setup now, just not bolted on the truck yet here they are [ATTACH=CONFIG]3254[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3253[/ATTACH]

subscribed and waiting :)

--- Update to the previous post...

i got some new info on what i'm doing with my set up, i took my original H1C and put the 12cm housing off the extra turbo on it (i think it was actually a 4bt it came off) i'm going to make a external wastegate to bolt in between it and the manifold. the wastegate and turbo are going to feed a HX40w with what i think has a 16cm housing.... this link should get you close to where the old one was going to send you as-well seeing as how it no longer works http://www.holset.co.uk/mainsite/files/4_4_3-Reference Sheets.php

i got some pictures of the setup now, just not bolted on the truck yet here they are

subscribed
  • Like 1

your officially my first subscriber! thank you you'll also be glad to know i got some pictures :thumbup2:post-10236-138698181207_thumb.jpgthe wastegate flapper and housing still has to be made along with it's plumbing but that's where she's going to sit, unfortunately i can't do a full 7" turbo back, at least there's only 4' of flex pipe lol

post-10236-138698181194_thumb.jpg

i ended up using my stock turbo (8 blade H1C, intercooled model) and throwing a 12cm housing on it i'm still in the middle of making the wastegaste (no way in hell i'm pay $300 for something i can make) i still have the turbo it's got the big housing on it now but the compressor wheel is the 7 blade model and smaller non-intercooled copressor housing---update---got some different angles of the turbo and a couple pics of the exhaust in the making not everything is seated in place yet but it's getting close. and for those with a good eye yes that is a 2001 gmc cab and yes i do have about 150 pics of the build and if Mike doesn't mind i'd be more then happy to upload them for you guys with a write up of course :drool:

post-10236-138698181329_thumb.jpg

post-10236-138698181336_thumb.jpg

post-10236-138698181342_thumb.jpg

post-10236-13869818135_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

finally started the old girl last week after she slept for 4 months took a video too ;) she sounds a little ruff but it was really cold and i didn't use the grids (hot wired for time being) didn't let it warm up either i got no rad at the moment and waste gate valve isn't installed yet so not much turbo whistle either