• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch not disengaging all the way

Howdy guys. Got a problem with the old dodge that is finally bugging me enough to do something about. 

I am having a hard time with the clutch letting go when it's supposed to. It's not hanging up enough to push me forward when stopped but it's making shifting a real pain. I can also feel the transmission still trying to turn when coming to a stop. Still drive able but becoming a real pain. 

Some facts about my clutch. It is in my 2001 ram with the NV5600. I replaced the entire hydraulics system with a high pressure system from Valair about 3 years ago. No leaks anywhere that I can see. 

The clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing were all replaced 2 years ago with a full Valair single disc set. The flywheel was machined (I know that's not recommended but was short on cash). 

I started having the problems about 6 months after the clutch was replaced. It's just getting bad enough that I almost can't do any in town driving for fear of hurting the transmission. I have adjusted the clutch pedal up as far as I can and that seemed to help a lot but it is still hanging up. 

Sorry for the novel. Just trying to provide all the details. Is there anything I can check without removing the transmission to have a look? I am not looking forward to dropping the tranny by myself. 

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Been so busy with work and everything.

I sure hope that hydro system isnt worn out already. It is the high pressure set up from Valair and only about 3 years old. Maybe its not as quality of a product as I thought. One problem I have now is I didnt save the original set up to rebuild :doh::rolleyes:. I wonder if the stock parts will work with the Valair parts... I wouldnt mind keeping the adjustable pedal rod and stainless high pressure hose.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely check on that stuff. 

• Owner

Personally I would just buy a another stocker full assembly and install it. Stock system seem to do fine even with a Southbend clutch rarely ever have any problem. No need for adjustment works without all that special gadget. I would ditch the stainless hose for the plastic being the stainless attracts and holds heat on the fluid longer. 

But that's just me.. :shrug:

I will check into getting a new stock system. In the mean time, I think I will go through this one with a fine tooth comb and see if I can find any leaks. The other weird part is pumping the pedal doesnt seem to help at all. I would think with a leaking system that it would help, but maybe not?

• 2 weeks later...