• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacing steering wheel (no radio controls) with one that has em

Hi!  I purchased a used replacement steering wheel from ebay. To my surprise when I opened it..  it has radio controls. My current wheel doesn't.  I've researched a little bit but haven't found anything actually showing a conversion. Can it be done? I read that a new clock spring is needed? That I need to check under dash panel to see what type of CTM the harness is plugged into.. etc. And that I need an Infinity head unit. My truck has an aftermarket head unit but I have the factory unit out in the garage want to put it back in.. not sure if it's Infinity though. 

Is it more trouble than it's worth? If so... can I use this steering wheel anyway without going through the conversion? Would it be plug and play minus the radio controls? Would I still need to change the clock spring?

Thanks in advance............

Okay.. I checked out the factory stereo and it has steering wheel control plug on the back of it. Based on this.. I'm assuming that I can do this.. but not sure what exactly I need. Wiring from radio to.. CTM? Or to steering wheel? Will I definitely need a new clock spring? Any help would be appreciated!

BTW.. I reinstalled the factory stereo as the aftermarket Kenwood was driving me nuts! I love the factory unit!!!

Is it possible I have it? I mean I have most of the goodies... like the upgraded stereo and infinity speakers, power everything, cruise, driver seat, overhead display, alarm, etc. just missing heated seats and steering wheel controls.. 

I have a build sheet.. would it be indicated on there?

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

• Owner

Should I would figure... There was the standard central timer and then the high line series. High line provided the vehicle security, steering wheel controls and host of other options. For some reason in the back of my head the heated seat function is a central timer thing for high line... Just not sure..

Some of the wiring harnesses are already there. At least mine were there for the heated power mirrors. I also have unused connectors under my seats and I am assuming they are for power and maybe heated seats. Never looked for anything else. The Central timer thing I know nothing about. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get this figured out? If it helps my 2000 has the steering wheel radio controls if you want me to look for something or if you can use my trucks info to compare part numbers (clock spring etc) to see if they're the same?

On 12/13/2015 at 0:26 PM, BBHD said:

Did you get this figured out? If it helps my 2000 has the steering wheel radio controls if you want me to look for something or if you can use my trucks info to compare part numbers (clock spring etc) to see if they're the same?

I do not have it figured out yet. I'm hoping to meet with someone in a week or so that has the parts... but whatever info you can provide would be MUCH appreciated. If it's not too much trouble.. I need to know where the wires from the back of the radio go into the CTM? Like.. what pin hole(s) it goes into? Any pics you can provide..... What CTM you have.. highline or premium? If I'm going to install a steering wheel with controls... they're going to be functional! :-) I hope!!!