• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP!! bad alternator or APPS??

• Owner

I've seen both Bosch and ND alternators brand new in the box fail just on the test stand. Matter of fact my last alternator "PASSED" with a failed rear bearing, bad brushes, and excessive AC noise. Then the new alternator "PASSED" again and it had twice as much AC noise than my failed alternator. No sale there. So I went to another part store to get another alternator which tested out better than my broke unit. So new or reman'ed doesn't mean it good.

I bought one from Mechman and it is running great.  Expensive, but it runs good.  

I would also look around and find a local alternator / starter / electric motor shop that will rebuild it for you with all new parts.  Usually they are staffed by a really freakin old Marine or Navy guy and can set you up.

• Like 1

• Owner
25 minutes ago, ruedger455 said:

I dont have anything like that around me.  We only have autozone,napa, O'Reillys, advanced auto.  The closest alternatorshop is 150 miles

How about... Elkhart Alternators (44 miles away)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Three+Rivers,+MI/Elkhart+Starter+%26+Alternator,+929+S+Main+St,+Elkhart,+IN+46516/@41.8110582,-85.9453885,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x88170710d6c52557:0x25fbd85923e44ab0!2m2!1d-85.632493!2d41.9439368!1m5!1m1!1s0x8816c2d9ea831df3:0x7289dc3d05e7c286!2m2!1d-85.967482!2d41.679028

• Like 1

So do i just got down there and say hey i have a cummins and i bought a brand new alternator and i believe one of the diodes went bad and is causing some ac noise znd interfering with my computer causing an irradic shifting. 

It seems like when i used google it gives me stuff as far away as possible. 

• Owner

I would bring the truck and alternator and have it test by him. Explain how the AC noise interferes with the PCM and transmission lockup. It would be a good suggestion to show it to him as well if need be. Then let him do his magic. I'm sure he'll find the problem. Not always will it be diodes. Like my case it was a damaged case, bearing and bad brushes. So then have him re-test after his work and show it to you. Then road test the truck.

• Owner
1 minute ago, ruedger455 said:

Alroght cool thanks again i appreciate it.  This whole deal is very frustrating.

Trust me... I understand it very well. Might look over on my side and see my ABS issues. This stems from a bad alternator.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/topic/10753-random-abs-light-and-weird-braking-performance/#comment-122985

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Well I just seen a report of Mean Green Alternator glowing red hot for a member over on CF. The other problem if you upgrade size wise you have to now rewire the charging system. The existing wiring will not support a oversize alternator nor will the fuse. So now you have to redesign everything to support the new alternator and fuses it properly as well. Which is why I think the one on CF is glowing red hot is because it failed but there is not fuse in the BATT circuit so the alternator is doing weird things.