• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Defrost?

angus

Well I`m driving home this evening and realize that my vents are not changing status, and I can`t get into defrost mode.  It seems like I have read before about 3rd gens having a notorious air diverter door? But I have no idea where it is located or how hard its going to be to get to.  Has anyone had the opportunity to deal with this before??

I went back and looked at some archives and found another member with a similar issue.  the air blows out of the front of the dash only, very little if any going to the floor, or defrost. The temperature control seems to be fine.

After watching the heater treater videos I`m thinking mode 1 door is the issue, and possibly the recirc door as well.. I have been noticing a single pop sound coming from the passenger floor area for some time and always immediately following startup and drive.

Edited by angus

Mine pops too, I got all the doors and installed them. You might be able to remove the fan and reach in and move one door. The floor vs defrost is the worse one to have to get to I think. 

When you take the radio bezel off you can see the servos and might be able to actuate the door from there. But it's doughtful. They all go through a power on self test. That's why you hear it pop. 

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Should be vacuum controlled for defrosters. Also, if you disconnect the vacuum it should default to defrost mode automatically. So if you can reach defrost mode that means something is blocking the door from swinging for defrost mode.

No vacuum controlled anything on a 3rd gen all electronic.

• Like 2

The problem turned out to be the axle on the mode 1 door was stripped causing all the air to come out the front vents. The recirc door was stripped as well, but I think that has more effect on AC in the summer.

I bought both doors from heater treater shipped to my door for about $180 bucks... Seemed a little pricey for what you get? But considering the alternative.. Its a pretty good deal.

Installation for these two doors wasn't too bad, just takes a little patience.

Our trucks have two blend doors which control temperature, and a mode 2 door that controls bias between the defrost and floor... evidently a mode 2 door failure will default to defrost which leads most owners to forget about this one. I may have to go back and do the blend doors later, but for now I`m happy to have a clear windshield.

• Like 1