• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On the Hunt for a Slide in Popup camper

• Owner

Here is an example...

0607161146b.jpg

Now the outside temperature.

0607161148.jpg

Now the temperature inside the RV. No the clock on the thermostat is wrong it has been changed forward yet... (D'Oh!)

0607161146a.jpg

So now if the solar panel where on the roof. There would be ZERO solar charging. So the RV would have to be parked out in the direct sun like my main house is and then suffer through 80*F temps inside the RV but you'd have solar power on the roof. This is the huge reason I will not mount the panels on the roof of the RV. Because like right now as the main house get hot for the day I can retreat to the RV and take a after noon nap if I wish or just watch DVD movie out there... Nice and cool and I've got power!

I decided that I might as well go with a 100W panel just because the price difference really isn't much.  Mounting will be mobile so I can throw it on the roof or lean it on a box on an extension chord.  

Father in law dropped off a generator that I am mulling over what to do with.  it's a 1000W unit, about 69 DB and too loud for my liking.  Too big to fit nice so I dunno.  I might use it or give it back.  

• Like 1

• Owner

If the panel has a good aluminum frame you should be able to create some sort of folding legs with basic hardware. Then you'll be able to set it just about anywhere to catch the daylight for charging. Like this afternoon in the heat of the day went out and watch a DVD movie for about hour and had the water heater turned on to give the dog a bath with the outside shower. Last time I check the voltage I was still 13.2 with everything still running. Day before with everything shut down and just the panels out there is was bounce off the regulator cycling up and down at about 14.5 volts. I know it would be nice to have just a wee bit more power but when I go out boondocking I really don't need much typically there is no over the air TV, rare that I might watch DVD movie, but keeping the fridge, powered up is easy. Some use of lights at night is typically recovered in the morning hours. Water pump and furnace would be you biggest eaters. But you don't have fan forced heat nor do you have a full bath so you power requirement should be easy to cover with at 100 watt panel. I'll admit I'm a bit tight at times with mine would be nice to have 100w (7.1 Amps @ 14.0 volts) compared to 45w (3.2 amps @ 14 volts)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I better clean my radiator before this weekend's camping trip since the truck has been getting up to 210 pretty easy as of late.

I didn't wanna drain coolant so I just pulled the fan and the shroud and went to town on it while it was installed. 

A good bit of junk came out and I am happy to report that I can now just leave the tuner turned up and cruise up the pass without any heat issues.

25psi all the way up the pass doing 45 in 3rd.  Truck ate it up

Well a bit of a report on temps. 

Prior to cleaning, taking the camper up the pass, at 90* f ambient , would get coolant temps of 215-220*f

After cleaning, same route, same load, same temp, coolant sat right at 200*f