• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok I posted a while back about some issues I was having with the hydroboost system. The power steering pump went out and I replaced it. Then the hydroboost started making lots of noise, and shuddering when the brakes were applied. I would lose power steering altogether at an idle, but all this only happened after about 5 minutes of driving. Today I finally broke down and swapped the hydroboost I still have the same problems.... I'm at my wits end here wit this thing! I don't know what else to do. Btw it an 01 2wd.

• Staff

Branden, flush out all the old fluid for starters, check your ball joints tie rods and wheel bearings. I know you can fix this I've had a lot more baffling problems in the past. I always found it by keep on trying.

Once had a problem so baffling that paying for 3 different diagnostics did not solve it. Everyone thought they had it nailed and threw parts at it. I didn't mind because everything was old and overdue anyhow. I was conducting my own auto mechanics final exam on 3 different shops.

• Staff

That's weird... like the wheels are straining to turn but shuddering when they do? I don't know a lot. I've just been lucky on most of my fixes. But you say the brakes make the same noise at a sit still?

All I can suggest is a few things like a clogged inlet screen on the Power steering pump or if the rebuilt pump was not done properly. Is it possible all the dirt did not find it's way out when flushed? Usually you remove one line and flush out that way. But the line you remove is on the non pressure side and have to keep filling and turning the wheels hard left and right while flushing. Jacking the front wheels off the ground is good.

I once had a problem with mixing synthetic fluid with regular that was leaking with the truck standing still for weeks in the hot sun. Another time it shuddered and squealed in very cold weather, that's when I started putting in the synth. It stopped the squeal and shudder but then had the leak. I'm now back to all regular PS fluid and properly flushed.

Edited by JAG1

It sounds like the power steering pump isn't pumping enough fluid at idle. What brand did you go with?

If it makes you feel any better I'm on my 4th power steering pump in 2 years. After a couple months the whole system moans at low rpms. I've yet to find my problem.

Me and the wife are currently flushing and re bleeding the system as we speak. We have the wheels off the ground and engine off turning the wheels lock to lock. We're getting some air but we have yet to start the truck. But yes at an idle if I push the brakes I get a strong kick back vibration in the petal and moaning noise. I get the same effect in the steering wheel at an idle only it acts like there's no power steering. Is there anyway the system could be sucking in air without leaking fluid?

Edited by bluegoat01
Typo

Well I fired it up and the problem still persist. Wheels are still off the ground and I couldn't help but notice that all lines coming out of the HB unit are piping hot. The only thing I can think of to do now is pull the pump, but it doesn't have but a few hundred miles on it because of the problems I've been having with the truck...

This system has seriously ruined me on the Dodge truck. Every one told me before I bought it "yeah that cummins is great! Runs forever! One problem though, it's surrounded by dodge parts..." All of the noise and vibration is coming from the HB I can see the lines flex when the wheels are turned to the locks. Applying the brakes makes the HB shakes and the pump vibrate bad enough to shake the fluid inside. I'm out of ideals the pump is clearly putting out pressure, the HB is less than 24 hours old, I've even swapped lines around just to make sure I didn't have them hooked up wrong and still no change. This thing is seriously about to hit Craigslist.

• Owner
22 minutes ago, bluegoat01 said:

This system has seriously ruined me on the Dodge truck. Every one told me before I bought it "yeah that cummins is great! Runs forever! One problem though, it's surrounded by dodge parts..." All of the noise and vibration is coming from the HB I can see the lines flex when the wheels are turned to the locks. Applying the brakes makes the HB shakes and the pump vibrate bad enough to shake the fluid inside. I'm out of ideals the pump is clearly putting out pressure, the HB is less than 24 hours old, I've even swapped lines around just to make sure I didn't have them hooked up wrong and still no change. This thing is seriously about to hit Craigslist.

What is the condition of the power steering pump? What's the condition of the power steering fluid? What type of fluid do you have in the system? Yes I've seen people load up with ATF and all kinds of weird material for power steering fluids. Is it possible the hydro-booster is defective?

47 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I think I could set a frying pan on mine and cook some eggs. Summer project... 

Makes me think you've got too much pressure if your generating that much heat. Higher the pressure the more heat generated. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

The condition of the pump is basically new. I bought it 6 months ago but due the hydroboost problems I have only driven the truck and few hundred miles, maybe. I have flushed the hell out of the fluid today. The type of fluid is just peak power steering fluid, not the expensive kind but certainly not atf. The hydroboost being defective has crossed my mind since it's doing the exact same thing that the old one was doing.

I didn't flush it simply because I was pour in a quart every couple days and the fluid was pretty clear. The lines are shuddering on the hydroboost end and the pump reservoir is emptying out and filling with no problems. The hydroboost was replaced last night and the pump was replaced about 6 months ago.

Edited by bluegoat01
Additional info

• Owner

Yeah but during change up you might of loosen up some debris and now the hydro-booster is partial plugged up. More common than you think. This is why I always suggest doing a full system flush before putting in new parts or if the previous pump died then leave the return line off and flush before hooking up. This just insures debris isn't going to plug something. You could try using compressed air and back block the hydrobooster hoping to blow out the debris.

• Like 1

Ok it's working and I love the truck again. So I noticed some strange issues with the HB unit upon further inspection. Bolts holding the body together were a bit rounded, the main seal seemed to be not seated and causing a gap in the body. Small things, but I hadded a warranty so back to autozone it went. Being stressed at this point I wanted to make sure I had all the trash out so I left the lines unhooked and started the truck only to find some very disappointing pressure (slight dribble). So it was off with the basically brand new pump to cash in on its warranty. Pump in, flushed, HB unit, in and bled, and we're back to being operational. It kinda erks me a bit to think it may have been a faulty pump to begin with but I'm going to try not to think about it. But lesson learned.

• Like 1