• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sticking clutch pedal

Sounds like the least costly move.....  And yes, I mean pull the tranny back just enough to see and reach in the bell housing.  Thats only about 8 to 10 inches and you can leave the transfer case attached while they're both strapped to a tranny jack.  I loathed having to do it again in such short time but I knew something was up and I wasn't going to chance ruining an expensive clutch system just for sake of convenience.  But that said.....I confirmed my issue with the fork movement "before" pulling the tranny too.  So I wasnt just willy nilly with how I approached it.

But what I'm confused on is how you move it back without doing the same amount of work as pulling it totally out? I mean you still have to drop both drive shafts, and remove the shift tower, and I would think drop the crossmember?

also can you describe what your fork felt like when you moved it by hand? Never mind on this. I was just re reading your post about it on Cummins forum. Mine definitely does not feel how you described yours feeling.

on another note, what's your take on the trans tech's theory of a groove on the input shaft retainer? I mean, I think we or the guy that did the trans work would have noticed that, and even if there was something like that, I should have been able to feel it with the old clutch too wouldn't I?

Edited by leathermaneod

I am the last person who would want to pull the tranny unless there is no other option. I had none, the bearing was gone. I also use an SKF bearing but mine was only about $45. I believe Katooms was a lot more which leads me to believe  there is more than one line of SKF. Since I replaced the old clutch with the SB I will never know how long it would have lasted. Katoom will have to correct me if I am wrong but yes to pull the tranny back is pretty much the same as dropping the tranny except you might see the issue and be able to fix it without getting the tranny completely out of the way and removing the TC.. Some time savings I guess.

Auto zone letting you try the hydros and returning them for a refund if it does not work blows my mind. But if they are willing that is good way to eliminate the hydros as the issue. I would darn sure try them and you can eliminate that as an issue.

That is interesting about your bearing being so much cheaper, was it similar to your old one in construction? Or was it much beefier? Mine was much heavier duty looking but it was closer in cost to Katoom's.

I was shock as well when they told me that, but I have had good luck with their warranties in the past so I figured it was worth asking. I am thinking about pulling the white tip off of the slave on the one from them and replacing it with my current one to avoid breaking the straps incase I do need to return it. Although I really don't understand why they even have that. It's not that hard to install the slave without them...

My other bearing was in pieces and I did not try to compare them. This is the bearing I think I got, a little pricier than I remember but still half the cost.http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2002,ram+2500+pickup,8.0l+v10,1384769,transmission-manual,clutch+release+bearing,1968. it is the SKF listed.

It would be good to swap the cap and not give them any reason not to take them back. The plastic tip serves another purpose. That is to protect the slave rod from wearing thru the the clutch fork. That metal on metal would not be good. I have pulled my slave a couple times and they are easy to reinstall after the tabs are broken.

I couldn't tell by those Rockauto pictures what bearing was what, nor if was they listed was the same bearing as I purchased.  All I know is the SKF I discussed in that other thread was stout and nothing like the OEM version.

I cant comment on any "grove" in the sleeve either.  Maybe.....maybe not.  I wouldn't think a small grove would do anything but cause a one time hang up when you pressed the clutch pedal.  Not to say that little catch wouldnt be annoying If thats what you're feeling.....

And yes, leaving the transfer case attached still means you have to undo the driveshafts and drop the cross member but leaving it up on the jack and only pulling it back far enough to get in there made the whole event much quicker.  Still a pain though..... :thumbup2:

I actually found the bearing I used. still in the bed of the truck from the clutch install. Just looking at the pictures it appears I used a Timken or the National. Their "pictures" are the same if that means anything. Looks very much like the bearing Katoom showed in his pictures on CF next to the SKF. There is a groove around the inside of the bearing. They all appear to have one in the pictures.

hey guys. I just picked up the master and slave assembled from autozone and WOW! The master and slave are made from cast aluminum, not plastic! And, the slave has a BLEEDER SCREW!!!!  I will post comparison pics later but overall this thing looks way better than napa's. My only questions right now are, should the bleeder screw face up or down? And, how do you bleed a clutch that has a bleeder screw??

I bled mine while it was on the truck. I replaced it separately from the rest of the system. I filled it first and then installed it. Had a friend push the clutch in an hold it while I opened the screw.  

I would just put them on and see if it helps. If it is doing the same thing the other one did then it is not the hydros .

• Staff

How to Bleed a Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder

1. Open bleeder screw and yell to friend in truck "OPEN".
  2. Friend pushes clutch peddle slowly until it reaches the floor and yells "DOWN".
  3. Close bleeder screw and yell to friend "CLOSED".
  4. Friend now lets the clutch peddle back up and yells to you "UP".
  5. Stop and have a beer. 
  6. Repeat 1 thru 5 until there is no more air coming out of the bleeder screw or you are to drunk to continue.

56db88588ba0b_animated-smileys-drinking-

Bleeder screws are at the top of any cylinder you are bleeding..

• Like 1

Hey everyone, 

I got lucky for once! My problem was caused by the hydraulics! So far the new set from auto zone seems to be working great. I like the feel of the pedal a lot better too. I also have a little free play at the top now too which I am very happy with. Below are the pictures of the new slave and master from auto zone. I apologize for not thinking ahead enough to take a side by side comparison. At least you can see the construction and the bleeder screw. Also, just to be clear, I am not doing this to put Napa down at all. In general I prefer to deal with them over places like auto zone and advance auto parts. However, there are some instances where I like auto zone better for their parts or their polices. This is one case where I think you get a better product and a better warranty from auto zone. However, I do have to give Napa credit for making at least there master cylinder in the USA. I didn't see a stamp on the one from auto zone, but the box said made in china. While that disappointed me a little bit, I am over all happier with auto zone for this part. Time will tell how it holds up I guess. 

Master from auto zone

IMG_0689_zps4dk7gusa.jpg

Slave from auto zone 

IMG_0688_zps6j4nxir6.jpg

IMG_0687_zpse5vcqrrk.jpg

Master from Napa

IMG_0696_zpsizikwzmo.jpg

Slave from Napa

IMG_0697_zpswea5l0h1.jpg

I actually already went to Napa. They took the hydros back with not argument. I told them the situation and they made no mention of getting them tested before giving my money back. I also told them about the construction of the hydros from auto zone and suggested that they try and get some like that as well. The guy was upset that I didn't have the original box for him to send them back in. I told him I was sorry, but obviously I didn't plan to return them when I bought and installed them. Thanks everyone for all the help! For anyone who is interested, the article on the pedal bushing replacement is finished and pending approval.