• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thought it was just front pinion seal

Boy was I wrong! Was going to change front pinion seal real quick but turns out at least one of the pinion bearings is junk. I don't have the time or the money for this. Plus I gotta work outside in the mud. I hate to have someone else do the work, I could try to find a good used diff. Sure miss my old shop. 

Biggest reason for front diff failures is moisture and lack of regular maintenance. I have been into just as many if not more front diffs and moisture is the main culprit from my experience. people think that because they do not use 4X4 often it isn't as important just because the oil "Looks" ok. The live or even semi live front axles we have helps but one still needs to change the front diff oil just as often if not more so than the rear diff oil. I have a suction gun I just suck some of the oil out of the plug hole every 20K miles or so during normal oil changes and replenish it that way and then do a cover off oil change and flush every 50k or so.

Edited by Wild and Free

• Staff
1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

No need to change out an entire diff, the worst part of that job is pulling the axles, the rest is easy if just a pinion bearing. Bearings are cheap.

I agree with Wild and Free.  I've done a few pinion bearings in the Dana axles and it's not hard just time consuming if you've never done one.  Parts are 2 bearings with race, pion seal, gasket and/or RTV, PB Blaster, and diff oil. This will give you an idea of how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQv2JQXYgE

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

If you are not replacing the gears the original shim pack is ok, always always always get a new crush sleeve, never reuse the old one.

↑   I agree   ↑    Any time I've changed any bearing in a diff I always reuse the same shim pack.  If you're  pulling the crush sleeve off put a new one on.