• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck loses power and wires are cut

1 hour ago, 99 confused said:

Do we just let the pump run or do we start the truck. We are located in arkansas. The north west central part of it, where are you located, I know that mopar man is in Idaho.

If you are starting the truck just start it, no need to wait on the fuel pump. 

I live in NC so you are about smack dab in the middle of us. I thought maybe ya'll traveled away from home for work. I do and am in VA at the moment not to far from home. I built a Waffle House just outside.Little Rock about 15 years ago. It would be good to get some eyes on what you are dealing with. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a member map function here. It might help to locate you and others. As for placing your pin you don't need an exact address but a city state would do it.

https://mopar1973man.com/membermap/

I guess I ought to put my pin there. But I am usually not here but every weekend or two, I guess I could just keep moving or can I have 2 pins at one time. Work and home.

Can you fill us in on the codes?  

I know you dont want to hear bad news, but keeping them from us is just making us suggest things that cause you to  "blindly throw money" at the truck.   None of us want that, been there done that.  

• Like 1

Ok with alot of help we have figured out that the lift pump is going bad and with the previous owners the pump went out so that caused a lot of issues for us to figure out. We have came to the conclusion that it needs an injection pump and an ecm along with a new lift pump. But with those items being fixed it should keep us going for a long time. We just have to find the money to do the two high priced fixes. After that we will have front suspension and minor body work, then we will have a truck that will be our last truck we will ever need. The interior is in really good shape which is good cause it is leather and I will not have to redo it, aside from it needing a headliner it only needs a good cleaning. Thank you for all your help we will be posting how it is coming along, again thank you.

• Like 3

Please do keep us posted. From talking to Cory last night you got a great deal on the truck even with the bad VP and ECM. The VP will get you going and you can save for the ECM. Might make it a little less painful.

Ok here is the latest, as soon as the rain stops he is going to check voltage on the wires coming into the lift pump then he is going to check the tank and see if there is any of the diesel crap in it, from there he is going to do the stuff you talked to him about. Hopefully that will get us some relief for now and allow us to start thinking about the VP and how we are going to fix such an expensive item.

Ok we have probably a stupid question. He got the tank out and the fuel module out and the module looks horrible, the screws on the sides that work the slide movement will not work, the metal has no support where it is suppose to be together, and it has been sitting on the tank bottom. We were  wondering if a gas sending unit is the same as the diesel one, I have looked for one on line and can only find the gas one or one with the pump, we don't need the one with the pump, it is oem (carter). Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

The sending unit and basket will work, but the fuel pump wont.

You could install a draw straw in your setup maybe or install a draw straw in a new fuel module aka remove the pump.

It is gonna be hard to find the old style fuel module without the lift pump.

I think what is being asked is is there any difference between a gas fuel module as compared to the diesel. I have module in mine from the intank pump from dodge. It looks just like the Liberty module that Vualcan sells minus the mods made for the fass and the mods I did for the air dog install. Are there any seals in the module? I dont remember any in mine when I modded it, all the fuels just clamped on.The only seals I remember are on the external connections.

I have another question about the modules in general. Does the fuel module not stay on the bottom of the tank all the time? It appeared that what to me when I did mine.

We can find one for a gas engine would that work.

Does any one know why it has to slide up and down cause we can fix it in position, but not sure if that will work.

And no it does not it moves everwhere, when we took it out it wasn't  even connected to the bottom it was just moving around the screws were  in the plastic part and the metal part was just there not attached.

It slides up and down to allow for it to sit on the bottom of the tank regardless of the tank size.

You could just mount yours so it sits on bottom.

As for the fuel module, they are the same between as and diesel, but you cannot take a new in tank style module, remove the pump and have it suck fuel.  You might be able to mix and match parts to make it work, but the pump in the tank is the pickup source for fuel. 

Can you find a module without the lift pump now days?  If you can and it is for a gas truck I don't see why it wouldn't work.  You could use the part number lookup tool to compare part numerous between the gas and diesel engine.