• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Having trouble getting my Scanguage calibrated

Well yes I know that lol. But what I'm asking is what Mike said about the comp the same for the EZ? And how does edge do that? Also, do you guys think I would hurt anything running the older style EZ on its highest setting all the time? I just don't want to end up getting less mpgs than I can with the smarty basically...I have a friend who would sell me an older EZ without the toggle for $200....is that a good price?

Edited by leathermaneod

Most tuners fuel under the stock curve, which gives you more low end torque, which in turn gives you better MPG IF, BIG IF, you can keep your foot out of it.  The more power you shove down low the more MPG you will get within reason.  

Not a bad price.  You won't hurt anything by running it on 65 hp mode.  

• Owner
11 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Mike, 

How would the power puck compare in terms of hp and tq numbers and fuel economy?

They all the same. 60-65 HP period without a wire tap. Then is once you tap the wire you gain more control. You can directly modify the fuel signal for added timing and fuel. How this is done is adding more fuel pulse before time or just extending it.  So now that the window of ability is open now your capable of controlling more so. Personally, I think Quadzilla has a much better tuning abiltiy over Edge but still Edge Comp / Juice holds it ground rather well.

As for all the other non-wire tap modules and programmers you are stuck playing by the rules of the ECM / VP44 and can't exceed so you're limited on timing and fuel amounts so not to create errors within the system. Wire tapping now bypasses this and allows for direct modification of the signal this why there is an increase in power.

Now that being said being I'm working with the OBDLink LX scan tool and I can tell you stock Volumetric Efficiency is 63% for ISB Cummins. Now after figuring out the effect of the Edge Comp on 5x3 its a 77.5% volumetric efficiency now. Roughly 14.5% gain.

Well I have another question for you all. So I found an edge comp for sale on another forum and the owner and I are trying to determine if it will or will not work for my truck. Our build dates are almost the same (6/00 and 7/00) but he has the oval map plug and I have the round. He said I could switch out the sensors and splice a new end onto my engine wiring harness because they are the same voltage. However from reading around on other forums it sounds like edge has said that is incorrect, and that the sensors have different output voltages. While thinking about all this I remembered that my map sensor is connected to my engine wiring harness with flat blade connects. That made me wonder if my truck even has the correct map sensor or if someone else switched the sensors in the past. It's also possible the sensor harness just got damaged and had to be replaced of course. What do you all think? Would a newer map even fit in my truck? And if so would it run? Or run well? Edge also apparently says that at least their ez boxes are programmed differently for the different map sensors (not sure about their others) and that guys have used the wrong box and had it work but just not as well. So I'm trying to figure this out and make sure my truck even has the correct sensor... I also got an old style used EZ from a friend to test out. And it has the round plug so it will work with the way my truck currently is. But like I said since the connector is spliced, I want to make sure it has the correct sensor. 

Edited by leathermaneod

Wont work. 

The boost reading compared to voltage is Way different between the round and oval sensors.  The comp needs to be reprogrammed to work with the other sensor type.

00 trucks should have the round connector, who know when the actual 00 /01 switch was made thought.

Edited by Me78569

no, The wrong sensor would make your truck a dog.

I suppose you could flash the ecm with a later truck file, then rewrite everything to make the map work etc...but it is much more likely you have a 00 model and he has a 01 model.

Ok thanks again very much for the info. You have been very helpful as always. It wouldn't even be worth all that just to make this comp work. Plus I wouldn't want to risk messing my truck up. I was mainly concerned that my truck might have the wrong sensor.

• Owner
1 minute ago, leathermaneod said:

So what's different about them then?

1 minute ago, leathermaneod said:

Why do you need a pigtail if they are interchangeable?

Really simple. The Pin Assignments on the sensors are different. Look at ground and signal assignments.

• A. Org 5V
  • B. Blk/Lt Blu Ground
  • C. Gry/Red Signal

• A. Org 5V
  • B. Gry /Red Signal
  • C. Blk/Lt Blu Ground

Well after trying a 2003 Edge EZ from a friend I decided to order the Edge Comp. The EZ was not quite as nice as the smarty on the low end. Anyway, this morning I was thinking and I realized that between the Comp and my injectors I would potentially be exceeding my clutch rating....should I be worried about this? I mean I don't have to tap the pump, but I figured I might as well, especially if thats how I can get the best fuel economy. Anyway my clutch is a new Valair single disc organic rated at 400hp and 900ft lbs. I have 75hp injectors and the Comp I believe is rated at up to 120hp and 350ft lbs. I have no idea how to calculate hp and torque and how accurate it would be, but just adding up those numbers on paper and estimating about 150ft lbs for the injectors puts me over the clutch...what do you all think? should I just stick with the EZ? or will my actual numbers be lower than that? I don't think I want to just say ill drive it nicely because I'm pretty sure thats gona happen 100% of the time lol although I should add that my definition of being hard on a vehicle is way less hard on in that what most people think. I baby my stuff haha. I don't do burn outs or boosted launches. Just accelerate a little hard once things are at least halfway warmed up. And at that point I also rev it out a little farther as it 2500 at most. I should also add that my truck is about to hit 260,000 and I don't want to be too hard on it. I'm counting on it to last till at least 400,000 maybe 5....so just give me some opinions. Is an edge comp going to put undue strain on things? Particular my new clutch. Should I just stick with the EZ? 

Edited by leathermaneod