• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Snubber, needle valve, or both?

Just by virtue of JIC design, the fitting in the picture cant leak at the swivel. If the Push-loc fitting leaks where you're pointing in the picture then the JIC flare flange isnt sealing or the sealing washer is leaking.  Diesel fuel is like oil and will creep around encompassing a large area instead of dripping at a specific location giving you the impression the leak is coming from a different source.

I am hoping that's is just what is going on. That flanges are not sealing together correctly. Possibly because of dirt, or maybe they just didn't get seated right due to the tension on them from the hose between them. Because of the size and the way it bends, it's a little hard to get them on straight. Especially since it's so tight down there. That's also what makes it so hard to tell where it's coming from.

Katoom makes a good point, its really hard to pin point leaks on these fittings, although once my FASS was installed, anything on the input side came out with some decent pressure so it was easier to find leaks then it was before. I'm not sure what happened to the fitting I posted but something wasn't right. I cranked down on it as much as I felt comfortable for it being down on the VP and it still leaked. I may have been doing something wrong as thing was quite a while ago and was a lot less knowledgeable of these things then.

I found the best way to tighten them down was a small crescent wrench on the bulkhead fitting and then a bigger crescent or appropriate wrench for the push lock JIC fitting. Either way it freaks me out every time. I always feel like I'm going to over tighten and snap something off in the pump! :pray:

Yes I tighten mine the same way and I can relate to your feeling of apprehension. On top of that it's hard to even get those fittings started because of the pressure of the rubber hose trying to twist it a different direction and I can't get two hands on it lol. That may be the cause of my leak. It's also really annoying to get two wrenches on those things because of the limited space. 

It is especially difficult for me to pinpoint leaks because I have a tapped 90° at each end of my "Big Line". That way I could keep the test Schrader valve at the vp44 and have my gauge tap at the other end like I have pictures at the beginning of this thread. So all those extra joints make for a real pain when trying to find leaks. 

Hey guys, 

so last night I tried loosening both ends of the big line. I made sure they are on correctly and not dirty then tightened them back down being very careful to make sure they were straight and seated correctly. I couldn't start the truck last night because it was very cold and hadn't been plugged in so I waited till this morning and got it fired up. Well it still leaks in exam the same places. Right out the end of the hose at the filter end, and from the swivel at the vp end. All I can think of at this point is to tighten the fitting at the vp end a little more, but that doesn't fix the other end. So the fittings and hose must be defective right? These things should not be this hard to get to stop leaking! I've tried calling Vulcan with no response so today I tried messaging them from their site. Has anyone dealt with their customer service department before? I don't want to just buy new fittings and hose, when all this stuff is only a few months old.

one other thing, is there a better vendor to get fitting from than Vulcan?

Edited by leathermaneod

Sorry to hear there's no change. After all the work you've put in it seems like something may be defective after all. 

As as far as Vulcan go, Eric is a stand up guy and the amount of times I've called has amounted to hours of phone conversations. With that being said though, he's a bit of a one stop shop and he does a lot. Most times when he's on the phone he's doing 3 other things. I've called plenty of times with no answer and he's called me back.

This is the number I call (360) 263-6044 and he's always answered or called back.

This isnt me telling you to tighten them more but.....just letting you know that when I installed my fuel lines some of the JIC fittings were stubborn and leaked a little.  NOT dripping but more weeping.  After farting around with them for awhile I finally just cranked down and they sealed up.  I wont tell you how hard either because you'll think I'm crazy.  Unlike aluminum or brass, they are steel and maybe just take some force to get the surfaces mated properly.

Edited by KATOOM

Thanks for the tips! 

Well I just talked to Eric at Vulcan. That dude really is great! It's awesome to find there are still a few places that believe in customer service. I told him the situation and his response was "what parts do you need to make this right?". It doesn't get any better than that. He also told me never to use pipe dope on this stuff and that the loctite 545 is the very best. Only bad thing is now I'm wondering if I should get rid of the pipe dope that's on the fittings at my fuel boss lift pump. That is before the fuel filter at least, but I still don't like it now. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle after its been that way since November.

• Like 1

Yea Eric is really a great guy and always a good source of information!

I'd say leave the fitting with pipe dope as well, although, if it were me and I had the time, I'd probably change them out hahah! Just something about knowing it's there would bug me, but if you can live with it, I'd say fix it if it ever becomes a problem.

What did you end up getting?

I'm pretty bad about letting things like that go lol but I am trying to get better. I have a very bad habit of creating bigger problems by trying to fix or improve things that are not broken. I have a good excuse for this one right now though. And that is how darn cold it is. Plus I need to get the truck up and running so I can tear my wife's car apart lol

As far as what I'm getting, I assume you meant to fix the issues? Basically the new parts for a big line kit. Two tapped 90°s, 1/2" hose, and the adapters for the filter housing and vp. 

Well it's actually going to be identical to the way I have it now...the only way to simplify it would be to get rid of a snubber...but with new parts there is no reason it should leak. I don't think it's over complicated...ill post a pic for you when it's done.

2 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

I'm pretty bad about letting things like that go lol but I am trying to get better. I have a very bad habit of creating bigger problems by trying to fix or improve things that are not broken. I have a good excuse for this one right now though. And that is how darn cold it is. Plus I need to get the truck up and running so I can tear my wife's car apart lol

As far as what I'm getting, I assume you meant to fix the issues? Basically the new parts for a big line kit. Two tapped 90°s, 1/2" hose, and the adapters for the filter housing and vp. 

Yes.....I know. :whistle2:

Lol hey I can't help it. I'm a perfectionist and an extremely OCD one at that haha. While we're on the subject of fixing things that aren't broken, anyone know if adding fog lights is as easy as changing the dash light switch and plugging in to the connector under the rad support?