• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Longer cranking...

On 4/15/2016 at 2:11 PM, notlimah said:

Yea will do. One things for sure, they're not cheap! :spend:

He mentioned that they're a couple weeks behind schedule due to a large order they received from a local tractor company they do business with so that might have been why it was hard to get ahold of him earlier.

Either way it'll be nice to have some well made cables that I should never have to worry about again!

thats not a bad deal from custom cables, I replaced all my cables, made them myself using 2/0 cable, I was impressed with the military clamps, makes maintenance easy. I bought everything at the local napa, including lugs, soldier and heavy duty color coded heat shrink. good quality but had over $200.00 invested in parts, not including a days work. 

Yea that's pretty much what I did and ended up close to the same price as you in parts, but with my inexperience and taking the time to do it right, it put me well over the time/money for the custom cables. Still not cheap though! 

15 hours ago, notlimah said:

That sounds like a good alternative, do you have a link to what you got? Currently my stock fuel filter is just taking up space.

http://www.genosgarage.com/product/ffk98599/fuel-system-accessories-replacement-parts

I run this because I don't have any FASS/Airdog system. Just a good ole Airtex LP. Is the issue on your '99 or '02?

• 3 weeks later...

OK so seems like whatever I thought I fixed earlier did not fix it! Now I have to crank at least 5seconds or so on each start after sitting for 12+ hours parked up hill. Seems like I need to start replacing o-rings and such.

Should I just start with getting replacements for the banjo on the back of the head and all the o-rings/gaskets at the 'T' and go from there? Anything else I'm missing?

After looking through the parts diagram I realized something. I'm not using the stock fuel filter, just running 1/2in straight from the FASS to the VP. Should I have capped something off in the stock fuel filter area or anything? Just wondering if that's actually what's causing my hard starting issues because I looked at parts and the grommets for the 'T' fitting are 13 bucks a piece!! Trying to avoid that if possible!

Yea I went out and looked at it in the truck and the parts diagram doesn't do a very good job at describing exactly how it is under there. Right now my old sending line is disconnected and running straight to the stock fuel filter canister. Nothing is connecting it to my current fuel setup so it's not causing the problem.

I did reach in and crank down the fittings at the 'T' and they snugged up a bit so I'll see if that fixes anything.

4 hours ago, notlimah said:

After looking through the parts diagram I realized something. I'm not using the stock fuel filter, just running 1/2in straight from the FASS to the VP. Should I have capped something off in the stock fuel filter area or anything? Just wondering if that's actually what's causing my hard starting issues because I looked at parts and the grommets for the 'T' fitting are 13 bucks a piece!! Trying to avoid that if possible!

I dont think I paid that much for the pack of 3. Pretty sure it was Cummins part i bought. 

On battery cables, to avoid shortening the stock cables to add a new end, you can just melt the old end off with a torch.

Also avoid soldering the ends on,  if there is somehow a bad connection it can melt the solder and let the cable dangle, which with a dual battery system, may not turn out well.

And yes, the VP's really like to be turned over quick, jumping them in the cold is a PITA.

11 hours ago, notlimah said:

Hmmm did you get it online? 

Also how'd you get in there to install them. Just trying to tighten them down was a sob!

I bought mine from a diesel repair place that sold Cummins parts somewhere in Tennessee. The part # is 04429451. A quick search turned them up but would appear that they do want $11.50 for one of them. I dont remember paying the much for mine but it was about 7 years ago. But I do usually remember when I pay way to much for something and that price seems excessive considering what the part is. If you could figure out the OD and ID you could make one I would think. It is just a piece of tubing that acts like a compression sleeve.

As far as the install, it is just a pain to get to. Contortionism and some profanity are required skills. How much of either is up to the installer.

Yea that price seems way off but that's what I saw as well. I'll have to look into it a little more and see if I can find a more reasonable price or just what size they are and find a cheaper alternative. Either way they did tighten down a bit so I'll see if that was the problem. 

Yea I was going to replace that as well but that one is priced at a more reasonable 2 dollars or so.

Does that line just come out of the head once the banjo is loosened? Then you can slide the new gasket on there?

So I talked to the dealership today after I picked up my truck. I got the banjo bolt fittings, 4 bucks each! He said that the fittings for the 'T' came in a pack of 3, but had to be sold individually at 15 bucks a piece!! :mad: I can't believe these things are that expensive! Hopefully the banjo bolt fittings are the problem.