• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Camper vs trailer

• Staff
6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful there... I've talk to a few state police officers about truck weights. As far as they said you are not permitted to exceed either GVWR or GCWR limits of the truck, even if the truck can safely haul the weight. Basically like he pointed out if your over weight and have an accident the weight issue might come to bite you. Weight laws are changing...

Reread what I said they are immaterial too...

Either way Idaho doesn't have any laws or statues governing manufacturers GVWRs and GCWRs, period. Cops, like most people, that want you believe that they are legal limits are either uneducated on the subject or just telling you to follow them because it's much easier than the actual laws. How do they even know what the GCWR is? 

Laws may be changing but until they do the currents ones are what you have to go by. 

Laws carry more weight than opinion. 

That article/link is for commercial use. There is no requirement for a DOT number for Billy Bob to tow a trailer under 26,000 regardless of GCWR

Edited by AH64ID

Weight limits on jo blow vehicles?:doh:

Here in the upper plains if one can get the load rolling its legal lol...............as some of my towing pics showed I have towed the mark @ around 35Klbs a few times with the ol 05.:whistle2:

Sold the gooseneckflatbed a couple weeks ago so the heavy load days are behind me now. I did load up the Hemi ths weekend with my Kubota tractor in the new to me dump trailer for a weekend of barn and corral cleaning at the in-laws farm, the hemi handled it well considering the 40mph winds all weekend.

If you go the slide in camper route then you will need to look closely at your bed weight.  A heavy camper can easily overload your rear tire ratings on a SRW rig.

You would likely have to upgrade your tires and/or wheels to carry the load.

That's not  bad thing, just a reality you should consider in your cost analysis,

I carry a slide in camper and I wear 19.5 tires.  Carries the load well, eliminates sway from soft sidewall LT tires, and gives you much better tire mileage than LT tires. 

HA!

I got the trailer emptied out last night. I'm going to camping world today to see what they're willing to do. I'll have to clean the trailer this weekend coming up and then fight with blue dog for warranty work. I'm ticked off about keystones trailer quality. Don't ever buy a keystone rv trailer!

Lol, that being said, my co-workers husband is looking at possibly buying the trailer from me as well. It sure would be nice. Im going to try and work this from the most ideal situation to the least ideal.

Blue dog doesn't even want it until maybe the fall and then they might do it as a consignment. Thanks for the support, jerks!

Alright, so going to camping world yesterday showed that I could get myself into hotter water. No dealer Will take my trailer except consignment. No surprise there. Then we looked at doing a trade in. We found a travel trailer at 23 feet long for 24k. Monthly payment would have been about 300 month worst case scenario. But they would only give me 46k for my trailer. 10k less than I owe. Not gonna happen. I won't pay too just get into another loan.

So it's time to try doing private party sale. Wish me luck! I can ask for nada value much easier and give the buyer an incentive to buy at my owing price. Everyone should come out on top!

• 6 months later...