• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Volt meter dropped to 0

Blew a water pump. I think the antifreeze caused the alternator belt to slip. Check gauges light came on. Voltmeter went to 0. I was surprised as most voltmeters are reading entire system voltage and batteries are still up.  Does the dodge voltmeter just read alternator out put?  On a related subject. I only get 50,000 miles on NAPA new water pumps. This truck and my older 1st gen also. Is that typical pump life for these pumps?

Shouldn't go to zero, if it doesn't normally go to zero when the key is on run with the engine off.  Something else is up...  I don't know much about 1st gens though, likely something shorted.  

I'd look through your wiring for an exposed, broke, or loose connection although I bet it works fine when it dries out.  

Edited by CSM

Mine normally reads battery voltage with the key on. As far as water pump longevity, I replaced mine with one the normal parts house pumps about 110k miles ago with no issues as of yet. I would think 50k is a very short life.

What mike described is what it did. Dropped to left, 8v ?  Never seen a voltmeter that didn't just read system voltage.  Dodge has a neat system that lets you know a problem is coming.  After putting on the new pump, I see the tensioner had the belt running way forward on the water pump. new tensioner moved the belt to a position that would put less stress on the pump bearing. Thanks for the input.

• Owner

Personally I wished it showed actual voltage of the battery and system then when it got to 12.00 or 11.99 then trigger the CHECK GAGE light. Then set the central timer to chime once every 3-5 minutes reminding you there is a problem. That just my personal preference. At least then if your trying to limp home the gauge functions and you can plan accordingly.