• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opinions on Amsoil and bypass filtration.

3 hours ago, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

Is anyone running a 10w-30 year round?  The duramax/powerstroke guys have been for years and it seems like the OTR trucking industry is heading that way also. 

No.  Their engines are designed for that oil, ours isnt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you got a quality filter it will never fill on the outside holes because of the anti-drain valve.

So the drain back valve is to prevent clean oil from being pulled through the filter and back to the oil pan? I always thought it was to keep it from flowing backwards....

So do you fill your filters Mike? I was always taught to fill it if you could. Obviously if the filter is sideways or located somewhere really hard to reach you can't, but that's not the case with ours....

I am aware that it is very important to make sure nothing gets in the center of the filter if you do fill it that way...ive read quite a few different places where it was claimed that according to Cummins, little bits of the foil seal of an oil jug cause way more major engine damage by plugging an oil nozzle, than the KDP ever did....

If you fill the center, debris can plug oil passages, get in bearings, and plug cooling jets.  

If foil gets in the crankcase, it will likely get stuck on the pickup screen or in the filter.  Or get pulverized by the timing gears.

I dont fill mine, because I dont think its necessary, its usually messy, and there is a slight additional risk.  

At the risk of creating havoc, I have pretty much always filled mine thru whatever hole it wants to go in. I am careful with the foil seal and remove the entire seal before pouring. I have filled them this way all my life. Just my :2cents:.

• Like 2

• Owner
31 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

What compressor wheel did you replace yours with? OEM?

Stock. Rebuilt by Industrial Injection also spun balanced.

32 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I like the Fleetguard filters from Geno's because they come sealed in plastic, not just in a box.

I do too but getting to a local Fleetguard dealer and keeping the price down is rather difficult. Why I've fell back to Napa Gold filters.

34 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

So I'm guessing you do not fill filters then?

I use to... I don't any more after a few reported cases of filter loading failures.

• Like 1

Cant say how close I watch when I fill it. I would like to think I would see a piece of foil or a rat turd, but who knows. Been doing it for so long with out any problems. Might be why I lost a valve in number 10 on my 96. Not sure what happened, just know a valve dropped thru the #10 piston. Never experience an engine failure other that that. Of course that failure occurred right after having my oil changed at a pep boys. 

Always wondered how you ingested that clamp.

With all the talk we have had about oil filters it reminded me I needed some fuel filters. So I looked for the DBL 7349. After seeing it for $16 to $22 I got a little discouraged. Then I found them for $11.64 here http://www.filterspro.com/detail_2.cfm?part=2679703. I keep thing some one posted this link before, not sure.

• Like 2

So you sent your turbo to them for a rebuild? If you don't mind asking, about how much did that set you back? Between the rebuild and the wheel? I have a rebuild kit from DAP sitting on my shelf, but I'm holding off for now because I decided the turbo wasn't that bad, and I need a new comp wheel because mine is nicked. I always wonder how critical it was to get it balanced though....

I do watch very closely when I fill the filter, but now you guys are making me think I should give up that practice. It just scares me knowing that that filter has to fill all the way up before the engine can get oil. I know it takes a second or two even on my Hondas before the low oil pressure light goes out....

• Owner
Just now, leathermaneod said:

So you sent your turbo to them for a rebuild? If you don't mind asking, about how much did that set you back?

$850... Completely rebuilt and put back to spec.

1 minute ago, leathermaneod said:

know it takes a second or two even on my Hondas before the low oil pressure light goes out....

You could pull the fuel pump relay (in the PDC) it will disable the VP44 and you could crank the starter to pump the oil up to pressure. Then reinstall the fuel pump relay and then fire up.

Wow that is quite a bit. I guess one rebuilt by them is probably a lot better than a comparably priced new one though. 

I like that idea about disabling the vp while getting the pressure up. Only question is, how exactly should it be done? Crank for so many seconds then fire it up? I mean without a mechanical gauge there would be no good way to know for sure when the pressure is up...

I get my truck up to temp before changing. It only takes 30 to 45 minutes to change the oil. How much lube can you loose in that time period to make any difference in starting with the filter empty?

• Owner
Just now, dripley said:

How much lube can you loose in that time period to make any difference in starting with the filter empty?

Exactly... A second or two of idling isn't a huge issue.

5 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I mean without a mechanical gauge there would be no good way to know for sure when the pressure is up...

The stock gauge is nothing more than a dummy light so the needle pops up then the pressure is there...

hmmmm. Well I guess if you guys aren't concerned then I shouldn't be either. The whole "most engine wear occurs at startup" thing just really sticks in my mind. This is a hard pill to swallow lol But then again I don't want to risk damaging my engine by inadvertently dumping a mouse turd in the filter either so I guess this is a pick your poison situation lol

• Owner
2 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

The whole "most engine wear occurs at startup" thing just really sticks in my mind.

Years ago back in the stone age most diesel owners had electric pumps to pressure the oil system before start for this issue. I don't even remember the name of the common unit but here is a marine pre-oiler for same reason. Ask yourself how many people have these? Then how many oil related failures are there from startup?

If you are really worried you can install a system like this...

https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm

Another idea...

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/132630-Is-it-possible-to-prime-a-Cummins-oil-pump?p=1238843#post1238843

Edited by Mopar1973Man