• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opinions on Amsoil and bypass filtration.

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2016 at 3:11 PM, AH64ID said:

Yes Amsoil still makes and sells several CI-4+ oils. The AME is the one I recommend to nearly everyone. It's their Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine 15w-40. 

There are no links for the filter data. The data is stuff I have collected myself over the years from contacting the filter manufacturers. 

I just had a case delivered today, glad a dealer as knowledgeable as AH64ID has recommended this oil to so many folks.

With a long trip to MN planned, I figured now would be a good time to try synthetic.

However, it's getting Fleetguard stratapore filters for the next three filter changes!

With 279,000 miles, should I change the filter at 3k miles and add a quart? 

• Staff
12 hours ago, LorenS said:

With 279,000 miles, should I change the filter at 3k miles and add a quart? 

What has your past OCI been?

How long do you plan to run it?

I never think it's a bad idea after switching to a good synthetic to do a shorter filter interval, it's cheap and easy. 

I'll be switching my Jeep 4.0 to synthetic at the next change and will do a short filter change interval on it as well. 

AH64ID, thanks for the response. Been without power since Saturday, and have been too busy to check forum.
I bought the truck and the previous owner had just changed the oil.  I ran it for a while, and 5,800 miles ago changed the oil with NAPA 15W-40 and a Fleeguard Stratapore.  I really don't know how long to run the new oil, I use the truck mostly as a commuter vehicle, but every once in a rare while might pull a 8-10k pound trailer.  Most of my trailering will be a couple thousand.  Pretty easy life for a Cummins.  I also run my block heater 4 hours every morning that it's around 35d degrees or less; my kid appreciates having heat in the truck!  I also only live a mile from the interstate and prefer to use it rather than taking the slow roads 'til I reach temperature.

If I could run this expensive oil 9,000 miles by changing the filter and adding a quart every 3k miles, that's what I'd do, though 12k and 4k sounds even better of course!  I bought the Amsoil Oil Analysis kit, figured at worst I'd change the filter at 3k, then run to 6k and pull a sample.  Hopefully hear back from them quickly to know what need to do.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  I don't mind paying for Oil Analysis more often than normal here at the beginning.  $28 is cheap compared to 11 quarts of Amsoil!

• Staff
19 minutes ago, LorenS said:

If I could run this expensive oil 9,000 miles by changing the filter and adding a quart every 3k miles, that's what I'd do, though 12k and 4k sounds even better of course!  I bought the Amsoil Oil Analysis kit, figured at worst I'd change the filter at 3k, then run to 6k and pull a sample.  Hopefully hear back from them quickly to know what need to do.

Personally I would change the filter at 3K miles and then sample it at 7,500 miles...assuming it's less than a year. See where you are at. 

You probably could save some money on the power bill by only running the block heater for 2 hours. In my experience it takes 90 minutes to get to 90% of the peak temp. After that it rises very slowly and the difference from 2 hours to 4 hours probably isn't worth the cost. 

• Thanks 1

My grids are disconnected and I plug mine in when temps drop into the 20's for about 30 to 45 minutes and the truck starts fine and I have heat in no time. So I would have to aree with @AH64ID on the plug in time not needing to be long at all actually. That is if your son can wait a bit longer for the heat. 

The engine gets to temp a lot faster when plugged in, so I can jump on the highway almost immediately; that really lets the heat come on quick compared to sauntering along at 35 mph and sitting at stop lights because I can't get on the highway while still super cold.   Plugged in for 3 hours (soon to be 2 hours instead) the Wait To Start lamp doesn't even come on.  At these temps I start the truck, put transmission in neutral to flow some fluid for maybe 15 seconds while I put on my seat belt and sip my coffee, and then proceed as if it was a July cold start.

At less than 10 cents per hour of plug-in, it's really a no-brainer to me - especially when it means the defroster works just that much faster.  Any savings on the battery life is a tiny bonus.  The engine just spins over like it's summer time and starts super quick - and a lot less clatter.  If that aids in cleaner combustion right off the bat with less carbon buildup or washing the cylinder walls with diesel, I'm all for it.  Our power came back on last night, and starting the truck this morning was noticeably different than starting it yesterday.  Same weather, just plugged in.  If it cost me a dollar a day, I probably wouldn't plug in until the twenties, but it's cheap.  I've only had the truck for 7k miles, so am unsure of how old and worn the injectors and VP44 may be; maybe well-worn parts are part of why my truck likes to be plugged in.  I also have not yet set the valves, though it's toward the top of the list.  Stock injectors, gaskets, and tools are ordered - when they arrive, a day under the hood will be scheduled.

Back to the original topic of Amsoil, I now run the "All-in-One" Amsoil fuel treatment ($$$ holy smokes!), as I thought I was heading to Minnesota this week.  Maybe my computer is just being optimistic, but so far it thinks I've gained 1 MPG over what I'm used to seeing.  We'll soon find out.  My dosage was closer to 8 ounces per 25 gallons.  @AH64ID does Cold Flow get ruined if it's stored too cold, or does it just need to thaw out?  Seems silly to have to take it ALL into the hotel or house if it's below 0 degrees if I don't need to.

• Staff
9 minutes ago, LorenS said:

@AH64ID does Cold Flow get ruined if it's stored too cold, or does it just need to thaw out?  Seems silly to have to take it ALL into the hotel or house if it's below 0 degrees if I don't need to.

I think it's fine, as long as it warms up before you pour it in. 

I really don't even treat my fuel except for the beginning of winter or if I am going to a colder climate than where I bought the fuel. By this time all the stations should be winteriezed. 

• Thanks 1

When I get to mid-Iowa and farther north, the stations I frequent actually post when it's been treated.  Here in the fairly warm KC area, I've never seen a single station state one way or another - I don't EVER see #1 diesel for sale in KC like I do even in southern Minnesota.  So, I treat it like you say when I'm going somewhere cold with Southern fuel.  Out of habit, it sometimes get treated when bought up north, too.  This tank got a shot because I was supposed to be going north this week!

• Like 1