• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ran dry on diesel today

I knew I was low, but the hill out of my house ran me out of diesel. Scangauge said I had 4.8 miles to empty, which is set for 32 gallons. Bottom line is ran dry. I'd of been fine on more less level ground. But the 10% grade out of my house put all the fuel out of the pickup area. 

I can't remember which lines are suggested to crack, but I did what was easy...1,3&4. Fired up after bleeding those. Yahoo!!! First time I've run the truck dry.

Edited by joecool911

1 3 and 4 are the ones I crack. Just the easiest to get too. Got close to doing the same a week ago. I knew I was low coming home but decided to fuel up in the am on the way to work. I put in 35 gallons. Too close for comfort.

I'm with Mike. My Dad used to HARP on me about NEVER parking a vehicle empty. His rule was that you NEVER park a vehicle with less fuel than it would take to get to the hospital without stopping. With our trucks requiring the fuel be a cooling vehicle to the pumps and lubrication....I leave as much in as is reasonable. To ME, running under 1/8 full in these trucks isn't something I'd recommend. YMMV.

• Like 2

You guys are a lot of help. Where were you when I was along the road dead? ?At least I have now experienced this now myself and it's not that big a deal. As far as cooling goes, any worse than shutting off the vehicle with the key? I wasn't even warmed up.