• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

sorry typing to fast thinking too slow.

The ecm reports it in as 1 byte, but the ECM reports it as 1 = .5 kpa  or A = .5 kpa in the obdlink stuff.  Still only 1 byte.   The conversion I have for the quad is (A * 2) / 7 = psi

I would have figured that the ecm would report values the same, but every time I assume something the ecm proves to not follow that.  

On 2/3/2017 at 5:38 PM, SpaceHiker said:

Well, since I've taken it upon myself today to solve the mystery of my truck's poor performance on 2-stroke oil (see cumminsforum), as a side effect I solved the mystery of the boost formula.

The correct boost formula that works 100% accurately at any elevation is: (A/6.8947)-14.6

This means that in any OBD software, you need to add a custom PID for boost. For the mode and pid, enter 010b or 01 0b (depending on your software's format). For the minimum value enter 0, for maximum value enter 100 or 60 or whatever you want (22 suffices for my stock truck lol). For equation, enter the above formula: (A/6.8947)-14.6

Then for decimal point precision, just use 1 decimal point.

This formula does not depend on atmospheric pressure at all. And in fact, the whole discussion about atmospheric pressure is completely overblown because it really only concerns our trucks when they are at idle. You have to keep in mind the function of a turbocharger. It is by it's nature a perfect altitude compensator and will always try to achieve a certain equilibrium within it's mechanical limits. This means that as soon as we begin applying fuel with a press of the throttle, intake pressure comes up above standard atmospheric pressure anyway. It just takes slightly longer at 10,000 feet than it does at 2,000 feet.

For the above reason, and since I'm at 9,240 feet, I see my boost sit at 0.0 for a little while before it starts coming up. That time where it's at 0.0 is when the turbo is reaching 14.6psi. It's a very short period of time, but it is noticeable at my elevation (lasts about 2 seconds after applying throttle). My mechanical boost gauge shows the same thing.

Hopefully that clears up some of the issues that have been bubbling in this thread for a while. Just keep in mind that my truck is a 98.5, I don't know if the newer trucks report a different data format on 010b, but I can't see why they would.

I'll give this a try next time I'm in my 02 and see if it works. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Little change of direction here. I would like to use my obdlink dongle on  my 3 vehicles. Is there any way to save a vehicle in the vehicle editor so I don't have to re-enter everything every time I switch cars? Like download the app 3 times and have one for each car or something like that?

Hmmmm. Today I took it out of the Tahoe and put it in my 300M. No VIN or anything came up for the 300M. It knew I changed vehicles because it told me to edit my vehicle in the editor, but did not display the VIN or fill in any of the info that comes along with it like it did the Tahoe. When I put it in there it had most of the info filled out just by reading the vin. like engine size etc. I'll have to put it back min the Tahoe and see if it changes but it appears I must be missing something.

I have run mine on 4 vehicles and it only recognized the VIN on my wife's Honda Odyssey van and my sister in laws Toyota Sienna van. All the others load up the vin blank. I have yet to fill them in but all the tools work and it will connect to each vehicle If you label each one. You should just plug it in, wifi should load up automatically although I check it first,then open app and push connect button at the bottom of app screen. I don't have it set up anymore automatic than that because I want physically see my vehicle profile load when I push connect. I am running on iphone7. It's a bit different than android I think. 

After you enter the stuff manually for the vehicle editor that doesn't load your vehicle for the first time, it should load from that point on when you switch vehicles. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:47 AM, woodtrucker said:

I have run mine on 4 vehicles and it only recognized the VIN on my wife's Honda Odyssey van and my sister in laws Toyota Sienna van. All the others load up the vin blank. I have yet to fill them in but all the tools work and it will connect to each vehicle If you label each one. You should just plug it in, wifi should load up automatically although I check it first,then open app and push connect button at the bottom of app screen. I don't have it set up anymore automatic than that because I want physically see my vehicle profile load when I push connect. I am running on iphone7. It's a bit different than android I think. 

After you enter the stuff manually for the vehicle editor that doesn't load your vehicle for the first time, it should load from that point on when you switch vehicles. 

It depends on the software you are using. If you are using the torque pro app for android, it allows you to create and save a custom live data profile for each vehicle. It does not automatically switch over based on the vehicle it's connected to. You have to change the profile manually, but the procedure is obvious. 

Other software will behave differently. You might need to switch to a different app.

I think it's working now, but as said above it doesn't load the VIN for the truck but it recognizes each vehicle. I also noticed there are 3 pages of gauges and I will use 1 page for each vehicle so I don't have to change them every time I switch. What's this torque pro thing and where do you get it?

• Owner

Go out on google play you'll see the OBD apps available you can use any app you want for OBDlink if you wish but the other problem is you most likely going to have to pay for other apps. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Palmer Performance Engineering&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Ian Hawkins&hl=en

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Go out on google play you'll see the OBD apps available you can use any app you want for OBDlink if you wish but the other problem is you most likely going to have to pay for other apps. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Palmer Performance Engineering&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Ian Hawkins&hl=en

Thank you. Hey Mike, can you post a screen shot again of what the values are supposed to be. I can't seem to find it. Also, how do you know what the values should be for other vehicles?

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here you go... My whole article on it.

Great! One suggestion. Somewhere you posted a link for a nifty calculator to figure out the offset for the vol. efficiency. That would be a good addition to this article along with an explanation on which number goes where.

• Owner
1 hour ago, dave110 said:

Great! One suggestion. Somewhere you posted a link for a nifty calculator to figure out the offset for the vol. efficiency. That would be a good addition to this article along with an explanation on which number goes where.

I'll try to get the write up done...