• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

IAT POTENTIOMETER FOR TIMING.

I am working on a timing for my 00 24v cummins. The goal is to be able to achieve increased- or retarded timing by varying the temps read by the ecm. I spoke with Mike the otherday, and was just wondering if I am the only guy that has taken this approach?

I'm attempting to simulate cooler temps, thus causing the ecm to increase timing. I have a 1.5k ohm resistor 163* that I believe is to much temp. I just don't like the idea of buying a bunch of resistors and having to keep playing around to find the sweet spot. 

• Owner

You find the rheostats are extremely sensitive to movement. Easiest way to hand this is plug in a live data tool like my OBDLink and either using a rheostat or resistors and adjust to temperature you would like to try. The I would suggest getting a fixed value resistor so it not going to change.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I hope to bring my timing up, or down. At my current state, the timing is lacking on the top end with my drag comp. It's mainly due to 1.5k resistor retarding the timing. I live at lower altitude, so it would be nice to see how timing, and iat temp come together for a more harmonious outcome. 

2 hours ago, CSM said:

What do you hope to gain from this?  

That's interesting because on my qwadzila level 1 supposed to be max mileage and all it does is advance timing and nothing else. But with what everyone seems to be doing is using 143f  iat setting to gain mpg, but that actually lowers timing not raises,  so I'm kind of confused. 

• Owner
45 minutes ago, apache64 said:

Mike, what are you using to make your tablet work with the gauge readings/ values?

Here is the tablet (closest to mine)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9098499

Then the OBDLink LX Dongle

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

Then the Android App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.OBDLink&hl=en

I personally gave up the ScanGauge II because of its lack of logging data and limited display. The ScanGauge II is now living its retirement in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. As for the OBDLink will work with anything mobile wise or even a laptop with bluetooth. Now you have much better way of logging changes and effects of your tuning. I love the fact it logs all my fuel mileage day by day. You can graphically record any sensor you want.

• Like 1