• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Service required see dealer now

Hello all! I am from Texas. I am in Billings Montana at the pilot truck stop near the I90-94 split. Last night in North Dakota about 20 miles from the state line I got the message service required see dealer now and lost a lot of power. I stopped for the night at beach. I plugged in my smarty race me pro and did not have any codes. I went ahead and cleared it twice. I increased the power to level 3. I was at 0. I fueled up and got about 20 miles from billings and it started again. This time it shut down on me. I again check for codes and had none. I went ahead and cleared them twice and then did the break pedal twice accelerateor twice. I finally got it started and about 9 miles out it started up again. I got into the pilot and opened the drain on the fuel filter and got good diesel out. I have 465000 miles on it and have been deleted for a couple years now. I got this once before and cleared it and it went away for about a yr. I am pulling a 35 foot 5th wheel to Seattle for delivery. Any suggestions as to what it could be. I don't want to leave here and get stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Thanks 

• Staff

How is the fuel pressure?

Are you putting in the 2 cycle oil in the tank of fuel to return this new ULSD back to the higher lubricity required for the older VP44 injection pumps?

Do you have fuel flow issues?

Check battery and other grounding connections too.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Sounds like a near truck. OP could you post up the year of truck we are talking about.

As for reading codes I highly suggest you find a actual code reader. Some of those code reader tuners are rather weak at seeing pending codes. Stop by a auto part store and see if you can get someone to read the error codes for you.

2008 6.7 I have no way to check fuel pressure. I have always used howes diesel additive. I opened the drain on the fuel filter and got good clean fuel. No water or trash that I can tell. I seen on another board to set back to stock. Disconnect both batteries then touch positive and negative together to discharge capisitors in the ecu and wait 5 minutes then connect batteries back and drive for a ways then reinstall the smarty. Has anyone heard of this. I will be heading into the mountains when I leave here and don't want to get stranded. I am on an iPhone and I don't know what the signature is and don't see anything about signature. 

• Owner

The whole battery disconnect thing is a myth. It will not clear error codes nor will it reset computers. There is something going on that is trip the service message. You going to need a code reader of quality to see what going on. To reset the computer just turn the key off and wait 10-15 seconds it will reboot on the next key on. As for error codes its required by law to record and hold all error codes for 40  warm up cycles before being erased.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Hey anybody happen to be in the Billings Montana area that could get me to an auto parts. Called them and short of staff. Can not bring me a fuel filter. I pulled my filter to check for trash. Looks good but now have a no start. Hope it's not the lift pump. I have almost half a tank of fuel. Just put this lift pump in last year. Thanks