• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tranny hunting?

I read the post from Mopar1973man about the alternator causing the tranny to lock and unlock. Does this cause the TPS to cause the locking and unlocking.  I checked the volts at the battery with the truck running and it was 14.86 on both batteries.  When I switched to AC the passenger side battery varied between 10.35 and 11.50, the drivers side battery varied between 11.35 and occasionally jumped to 15.  Would this be enough to cause the TPS to lock and unlock.

Bob

AC noise will cause lockup issues.  

Typically we expect to see less than .01v AC anything over .03v ac is typically considered bad.  

I would venture a guess that your Multimeter is not able to read AC volts at the right level, .001.

• Staff

Yes I had to go out and buy a good Fluke meter to check mine. Found it on Craigslist for 40 bucks for a model 77.

The old meter, a cheapie, would read the same on every vehicle

So now I am confused,  With it set to mv did it read 11.50 && 11.35 ac V or .0115 mV? && .01135 mV?

one way to know for sure if the alternator is the case is to remove the alternator charge lead  and take the truck for a drive, if the issue goes away then the alternator is to blame.

Edited by Me78569

Well, when you set the dial to AC it will switch to mV automatically.  I had the TPS disconnected now for about 5 years. Got tired of spending $100 every year to replace the TPS.  Would like to go back to the reconnecting the TPS is this is a permanent fix.

Bob

Rechecked the volts tonight. Drivers side: battery 14.00, AC 11.8 - 12.7 mV.  Passenger side: battery 13.5, AC 9.5 - 10.2 mV.

Batteries were checked right after starting. A question I have is when I check the AC, I do connect to the battery right?

Bob

Edited by unioncreek

• 2 months later...