• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Reverse lighting

Hey all, I'm looking to copy Mikes idea of sticking some lights on the rear axle to increase visibility when backing up. Wiring in those lights seems fairly straight forward. I was also looking to add the bypass switch so I can flip them on while in park. 

Couple questions...

Anyone know what wire in the trailer harness is for reverse?

What wire do I splice into on the neutral safety switch on the trans? 

Personally, I would run them manually by hand. That way when you don't need them or someone is behind you, you don't blind them. It'd be easy to tap into the hot wire back there and run a relay to a switch located in the cab.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I just bridged the plug on the reverse switch. So either its automatically lit when I shift to reverse or manual I can flip it on and hitch up trailers or what ever in the rear of the truck.

This will do the same thing.  Pin #9 at the #1 joint connector comes from the reverses light switch.  You could also splice into the vt/bk wire and use it as a relay trigger wire for high wattage lamps.backup 3 001.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I used a combo of multiple different wiring diagrams, including yours IBM, I also used this one from a write up on CF

image.jpeg

I'm going to post up how I did the whole thing in my 'new truck' thread.

• Owner

Mine is pretty simple really. The reverse light relay is hung in the driver side taillight area. My power comes from the +12V trailer lead. Then my toggle switch just bridges the stock reverse switch. So in trying to keep it simple mode.

I do like @IBMobile idea of tapping the PDC idea very handy idea.

Personally I'm wanting to re-do some of my wiring on the overhead console anyways.

Yea my main focus was trying to keep things as tucked away from the water as possible. I put my relay up under the kick panel and made sure all my soldered points were stuck into the rubber housing of the light and then rtv'd the hole. Then used water proof quick disconnects so I can replace lights as needed without sacrificing the water tight integrity.