• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power Steering Fluid Leak

I've never had issues uploading pics from my iphone. I just allow the site to access my photo library and upload it straight from there. No issues.

I'm also looking forward to this rebuild since I have everything replaced on my steering that should tighten things up, except for the steering box so take lots of pics!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder!  I meant to add this in there as well.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

EDIT: Done!

EDIT #2: Wrong Article!

EDIT #3: Correct Article! http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steering/steering_gear/Adjust.htm

Edited by Cowboy

Hey guys,

I just had another minor episode of some more difficult steering as I pulled in at work....same thing I do every day only this time steering was a little harder. Could it just be a fluke air bubble still? Or do you think my new pump is no good? I didn't have time to fiddle with it at all or check the fluid, but it was almost full the other day when I checked. I will check more later just didn't have time right now.

Alright so a little update, wanna see if this changes your diagnosis at all.

just drove the truck home and everything seemed pretty much normal, maybe a little harder to turn at low speed/low rpm like going around hard corners but nothing major, and it felt the same as before trying to steering sitting still before i left work(easy at first then very hard). Now when I got home and went to turn into my spot, it was like I had no ps again! Again this was at low speed and idle rpms(clutch in). I checked the fluid and it's still very clean and nearly at full hot. I also definitely still have this vibration or tremor feeling in the pedal even with only moderate pressure, otherwise they work and feel fine. Still thinking obstruction? Or possibly bad pump?

Edited by leathermaneod

Alright so I've got another observation to report. Symptoms are much more apparent when the truck is warmed up(steering difficult and vibration in the brake pedal). It sat for about 1.5 hours and now I just left again to run errands. When I first left I didn't really notice anything, but as I pulled into autozone I've definitely got problems. Still no issues braking, just turning and the odd tremor in the brake pedal.

I'm pretty sure I also used to be able to turn the wheels at a dead stop, because I like to leave them straight when I pull into a space and now I can't do that without crazy effort....

I was at autozone to pick up my other stuff so I had them order up another ps pump just incase. It doesn't make sense to me that if it was a blockage it would only act up when warm, and how did it all of a sudden become blocked today? If I hadn't flushed it good then it would make sense, but this just doesn't. I don't get it. 

Heres another update: just got back from my errands and ps at idle seems to be totally gone now. Fine while driving with rpms up though. Brakes are going downhill now too. Just looked in the FSM and it sounds like low pump pressure or worn out gear box  are the only things that makes sense. But why did this one wear out so fast?? Unless the gear box crapped out all of a sudden? But that wouldn't explain why my brakes would be getting worse now too.... Maybe I should have got a good pump instead of a reman....if I have to pull that thing again I'm gona be really unhappy :mad:

Edited by leathermaneod

Well I've got good news and bad news. Good news is I found the issue, bad news is I think it's going to require pulling the pump. I took the high pressure line off the reservoir so I could check the screen in there. Well the inner part of the valve that has the spring around it is jammed in there! At first I thought it was missing because I couldn't feel anything when I stuck my finger in as far as it could go, but then I looked in with a mirror and sure enough it's there but it's not coming out! Any suggestions before I pull this darn thing off again? Anything to be careful of? I will not be taking the vac pump out with it unless you guys think that's really necessary....

I'll try man. The ps pump is pretty easy really, just a pain working in tight places and super annoying when you have to do it twice. I think it would be easier to take it out with the vac pump, but I don't wanna disturb my new seals anymore than I absolutely have to. Now I'm just waiting for Mikes input before j really tear into the pump and the gear box. I'm wondering if there is any way this valve being stuck could have caused the gear box to leak. Anyway I'll more than likely start things tomorrow afternoon. I have to work 9-9 tonight so I'll get kind of a late start tomorrow.

Yes I took the fitting off, but that stuff didn't come out. I tried to pull the valve out with a magnet but it is jammed way in there. So far in I can't get my finger in far enough to touch it, I'd say a good inch and a half to two inches. I had my old one apart when I flushed the fluid so I know how it comes apart. At first I thought this one was missing the valve, but when I looked with a mirror I can see it in there. It's just not moving.

• Staff
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 6:01 AM, leathermaneod said:

Or do you think my new pump is no good?

Pressure relief valve sticking in the cylinder and the seal/o-ring between the pump and reservoir body at the fitting you took off that might leak now,  warranty the pump.