• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

We had some pipe liners in town this last winter and that is what they added to their fuel to prevent it from gelling up on them. They were doing in on anything from fords chevs and dodge and even the heavy equipment. According to some o fthe guys that I talked to they have been doing it for years. ( I am not saying I approve of this just putting it out for some discussion.)

• Owner

Yweah there was a local boy here that ran big semi-truck and had a receipe for racing diesel (which included gasoline). But to this day I'm just not to fond of the idea of mixing it in... I know there is a lot of things you can get away with but what are the long term effect of doing this over and over again to the fuel system?

Yweah there was a local boy here that ran big semi-truck and had a receipe for racing diesel (which included gasoline). But to this day I'm just not to fond of the idea of mixing it in... I know there is a lot of things you can get away with but what are the long term effect of doing this over and over again to the fuel system?

i agree. even the multi-fuel motors in the old army 5tons added motor oil to gasoline when it was used(to avoid pump wear). it has awful lube properties. that is why so many gassers love lucas' upper cylinder lube and gas treatment.

Has anyone heard of cutting #1 in the winter time (-30 or colder) with 1 gallon of gasoline to 30 gallons #1 to prevent gelling?

Yes, the old-timers showed me that trick a long time ago. If you live in an remote area running to the store to get an anti-gel may not be an option. .

• 3 weeks later...

I have read on several forum of guys doing this for years with WVO or Virgin Oil at a rate of 20 to 30%. I am using an additive of 1:4 gasoline to Virgin Oil at a rate of 128:1 to the diesel fuel. Have seen no problems and no increase in mpg either. I have a lot of info on a farmer in the Mid West pressing his own oil and mixing with gasoline to get the same specific weight of diesel at a given temperature. Has been doing it for years in his trucks and equipment. Says this is the big secret in getting the Virgin Oil to run well. He has done a lot of research and has a lot of empirical data. Esp. data AGAINST using WVO. Here is the farmer's link. I HIGHLY recommend reading his research! http://www.oilcrusher.5u.com/

• Like 1

I think they are way to paranoid. I run 50/50 with antigel fuel conditioner at temps that low every year and have never in 25 years of driving a diesel have never Gelled up. As for straight #1 I would never worry about it gelling up at -30. But I would never run straight #1 ever anyhow unless someone else is buying my parts.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone heard of cutting #1 in the winter time (-30 or colder) with 1 gallon of gasoline to 30 gallons #1 to prevent gelling?

from what i rememeber it was 1:55, not 1:30. if you do you MUST add 2 stroke oil and might as well as run kerosene as well. in the winter(during snow storms and really bad weather, i run 2 gallons of kerosene to a 28 gallon fuel tank, with 32oz of 2 stroke oil. And i have been doing this for years. I should also note that when i did tests on the cloud point of diesel (using the freezers at work that were -30 below), the 2 stroke oil mix with kerosene was slightly cloudy but not frozen, unlike the regular winter diesel in the test.

• 1 month later...