• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Changed vp44 - pedal completely dead

I experienced code 1688 a while ago and also experienced a dead pedal (completely dead, does nothing).

yesterday I replaced the 44 with a new one, got the truck running but the pedal does absolutely nothing.

any ideas?

thanks,

greg

Test for Voltage come from the TPS sensor at idle position and WOT.  It should increase from ~0.46 v to ~3.6 v as you increase TPS.  use a paper clip to connect to the wire.  I think it is pin 3 on the 6 pin apps connector.

also test for AC noise in your system, regardless of how "new" your alternator is.  Many many many new ones are bad out of the gate.

Edited by Me78569

Thanks for the responses. I havent yet checked any voltages or if the apps is plugged in as I didn't finish installing the pump until 1030 last night so I'll check when I get off work this evening.

alternator was replaced in April but if you can explain how I check for school noise, I most definitely will.

16 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I am going to go with tyler's guess,  I am betting the apps is not plugged in completely.

I'll certainly check it. Just seems odd that this happened when it started to run terribly one morning after I started it. I was hoping the new vp would fix the issues but it just made it able to run again haha

It's got me stumped. I get off work in two hours, I'll check what was mentioned above. How do you check for ac noise?

It all happened one morning when I was heading to work. Started the truck up, put it in gear then it started running like something that had an aggressive cam and the dead pedal happened the same time. Put a code reader on and got 1688. Tried bleeding the lines through the injector lines and hardly had any fuel come out.  Put in the new VP and it starts great now just still has the dead pedal

If I remember correctly the highest you'd want to see when checking A/C noise is .05xx

Anything above that and you'll more then likely start seeing issues related to A/C noise. .1 is the MAX allowable limit before the alternator is considered shot, but to avoid any issues and play it safe, we want out alternators to run between .01-.03 as to avoid any problems.

Someone please chime in if these are off!

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

AC noise voltage should be low period. Battery or alternator. The highere either get the more issues will happen like VP44 failures. As for the APPS I would have to agree with TFaoro I'm going to bet the APPS is not plugged in all the way. I've done the same mistake before too.

Have you seen them come unplugged by their self? I really hope that's the issue but i haven't unplugged it