• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 24 VALVE 230k miles p0122 Maybe vpp

INSTALLED TIMBOS TPS , RUNS GREAT WELL, GOT TO RUNNING TEMP,  A LITTLE OVER 190 ON GAUGE AND DIED WELL NOT VP THAT'S GOOD RIGHT  ,   well what a causing my lift pump to shut off ? Should I go exhange lift pumps again and yet once more try it ? 

Fuel pumps on but still not starting hmm 

ltz.  

I mean this kindly, bud.  I would like to see you happy and able to fix your truck.  

To effectively do that, it would be courteous to us and would make people more motivated to help you if you try writing as clear a response as possible.  Writing in all caps is understandable sometimes, for really old farts, but isn't necessary here. 

This is a written dialogue with us being 24 valve enthusiasts, who like to help others.  It is easier if you answer questions, and keep things as clear as posslble.  

I know you are capable of communicating clearly and taking the time to give this community the respect they deserve for helping you.  It is a good group of dudes.  If you can't, you can leave.  You aren't 85 years old and illiterate. 

Edited by CSM
  • Like 4

You could just hot wire the lift pump, not the VP, from the battery to see if stays running. You also need to know if that pump is putting out any pressure while it is running. You can hook a test gauge to the shrader valve on the VP inlet to test it. Not sure if you have already tried this.

• Like 1

Trucks currently at a very sought after mechanic , if the vp 44 is gonna fail it's not gonna do it because of me , this mechanic should find it very quickly , I told him issues like it'll run fine fires right up this morning,  then after running temps it dies, you people telling me to diagnostic the lift pump itself brand new , so I'm not going to change it in and replace once more , my concerns at this point would actually be the suction in tank stopping the pump up and getting it warm,  any ways guys appreciate help maybe this automotive tech will fix it 

1 minute ago, ItzReckless said:

Trucks currently at a very sought after mechanic , if the vp 44 is gonna fail it's not gonna do it because of me , this mechanic should find it very quickly , I told him issues like it'll run fine fires right up this morning,  then after running temps it dies, you people telling me to diagnostic the lift pump itself brand new , so I'm not going to change it in and replace once more , my concerns at this point would actually be the suction in tank stopping the pump up and getting it warm,  any ways guys appreciate help maybe this automotive tech will fix it 

I Sound so stupid I mean electrical issue causing pump to turn off 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Lift pump is directly controlled by the ECM so that means there should be an error code possibly like P0230 code. Still need to test the alternator for excessive AC noise issues. Being there is no fuse or relay controlling the lift pump. 

well man could the CPS cause it, atm the trucks at the mechanic but idk anymore, I drove it just fine to his shop turn of and left kinda on slant! well it wouldn't start , but it seems as if he got it started now because it has been moved, but still same issues!

The return line goes back to the tank, it should not be under that much pressure to see a rapid leak.

Also, what is your fuel pressure to the VP44? I know folks have asked.   You can check with the tapped banjo bolt off the fuel filter housing.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/vulcan-test-kit/fuel-system-accessories-replacement-part

Do the codes keep coming back once you reset with your OBD II scanner?    Also, the behavior stemming from the temp at 190 and the problem with it dying when shifting into drive seem ECM related, .    Have you done checking of the ground connections?  My 2001 has a habit of electrical issues unless my battery negative terminal is tight.   Have you check the ASD relay, or replaced that yet?  

Good luck

9 minutes ago, GSX455 said:

The return line goes back to the tank, it should not be under that much pressure to see a rapid leak.

Also, what is your fuel pressure to the VP44? I know folks have asked.   You can check with the tapped banjo bolt off the fuel filter housing.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/vulcan-test-kit/fuel-system-accessories-replacement-part

Do the codes keep coming back once you reset with your OBD II scanner?    Also, the behavior stemming from the temp at 190 and the problem with it dying when shifting into drive seem ECM related, .    Have you done checking of the ground connections?  My 2001 has a habit of electrical issues unless my battery negative terminal is tight.   Have you check the ASD relay, or replaced that yet?  

Good luck

everything except check pressure , which is good until vehicle dies then pressure just stops so whats point in checking it doesn't cut out

I understand PRESSURE is key to these I will go buy a pressure gauge kit from oriellys if they have one I'm beginning to thing ecm

58 minutes ago, GSX455 said:

Good luck

codes have stopped except 1388 and sometimes 1389 idk

Truck won't start gets fuel to injectors 

But 1689 Code Comes UP BUT I pulled relay 

Got into vehicle,  WAIT TO START  came on it fired right up,  is this pointing to ecm 

Now truck won't start it died while driving again Felto lack of power but everything's on 1388 is appearing,  but I've checked everything 

On 9/22/2016 at 11:12 PM, dripley said:

You could just hot wire the lift pump, not the VP, from the battery to see if stays running. You also need to know if that pump is putting out any pressure while it is running. You can hook a test gauge to the shrader valve on the VP inlet to test it. Not sure if you have already tried this.

Hey drip I got the truck running but it still just shuts off till it gets ready to turn back on, I don't wanna waste my money but should I just order a ecm and see if it's theasier fix 

On 9/22/2016 at 11:12 PM, dripley said:

Hey drip I got the truck running but it still just shuts off till it gets ready to turn back on, I don't wanna waste my money but should I just order a ecm and see if it's theasier fix 

My voltmeter is reading before I connect to something so I'm not sure it's acurate it reads .020  ish. Then I connect to negative and.then the power off alt and it is .054 ish. But I'm scared reading is wrong,  but I think it is ac noise , ive been looking for a fuel pressure gauge, excuse double post,  bad service