• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Let talk mpg and how timing vs fuel helps

I drove into work today with timing set differently.  

My normal tunes have timing at 8* and %100 scaling, so at cruise the quad might add ~1 or 2 * timing.  

I changed the tune to be 12* timing with scaling at %50.  This would make masx timing on top ~6* but gave me ~3 * at cruise.  

Again this is city driving so the oem timing never got into the cruise map, but I was seeing low load timing of ~18*.   I dont know if that hurt my mpg or helped but I am at least getting a better grasp on how things worked.  

I appreciate what you doing with this myself. It is interesting reading but far over my head. I understand what timing is but not to the degree you are taking it. I have had some of the best mileage ihave ever had while running the comp. Anything better would be gravy. Even though I dont buy my own fuel, getting good mileage is always a fun accomplishment. Keep on keeping on.

Alright,

Some more information from driving.  

It seems that highest cruise timing comes when the quad reads ~15%-%20 load.  The ecm was commanding ~16.5* I noticed that  cruise EGT came down by ~100* when I turned the quads timing on which was giving an extra ~1.6-2* of timing at that part of the map.

• 3 weeks later...

So just an update to this thread as we learned more with more people using the beta tuning with the new Cruise timing adjustment.  

It seems that timing in the 20* range is getting the best MPG so far.  I know the engine really starts to rattle when you hear the timing jump.  

• Like 1