• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Beginners question...Fuel line bolt

18 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

The FSM calls for 18 ft/lbs.  But you ought to consider changing those banjo bolts out as they can reduce fuel flow.

Thanks, didn't know that.  Who has them with larger boring? Geno's, Vulcan???

Thanks again

18 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I just tighten mine snug. The sealing washers have rubber, so it doesn't take much to make them seal. 

One washer on each side of bolt?       I thought maybe a copper washer like brakes have. 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

One washer on each side of bolt?       I thought maybe a copper washer like brakes have. 

That's correct.

I think @Hawkez is talking about a different style of bolt that goes into the vp44 entirely. Vulcan performance has a "big line" that runs between the filter and VP that should flow more fuel. 

Thanks folks...I've been thinking to myself about how this is going to work with bigger holes in the bolt. I do have some other stuff coming from Vulcan. Not knowing really what I needed, when I called I said "just send me what I need".  Maybe bigger bolts will be in shipment? 

I know I don't know much about these things. Even though I've owned it since 2005.  I'm just now beginning to fix stuff when something goes wrong.   My system right now is.  Fuel leaves tank at sump. Then to Airdog FP-100 then to vp44.  The bolt at vp44 is one of these in pic,  called a sae j2044 quick connect fittings according to Airdog instructions.

12803d1323691743-adding-supplemental-fuel-filter-water-separator-without-cutting-lines-connector.jpg   

I don't see how oversize bolts from Geno's will work???  What am I missing in my thinking?? 

I can say without any hesitation I'm not the sharpest bulb under the hood with a wrench.

Thanks

Well that changes things. Re reading your original post it would sound like you were speaking of the stock banjo bolts and fittings. Me personally did not realize that you had an aftermarket system on your truck. So the above advice does not apply to the system you have. The torque number quoted above is for the stock bolts. 

This is a prime reason why the majority of us have signature that you see at the bottom of all of our posts. If you fill out yours it will be there also. It should contain info on your truck including modifications such as an AD fuel system. Not trying to beat you up at all it just helps with getting good advice.

I have an AD system on mine with the same fitting as you. I do not remember a torque # for it but I did not torque to a specific #. I just snugged it up and checked to see it it leaked. Mine did not but if it had I would have snugged it more until quit.

Some folks are going to tell the fitting you are using is not a good fitting. They tend to leak. It is true a lot of folks have had trouble but mine have been on for over 5 years with out issue. That one you will have to judge for yourself. I can only speak from my experience. 

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Dripley... Thanks and no offense taken.  I thought maybe thread going side ways because I used wrong terminology.

OK,  took my info from profile and put into sig line.  Hope I did it right, I'll see after I hit submit button.

• Like 1

Looks good, the info does help. Not sure what you have coming either but I believe Eric would be sending you some push lock fittings to replace the quick disconnect. It seems to be the weak link a lot of folks have had problems with. Think I am going to keep my QD's until they give some trouble. What you have and what Eric is probably sending is as big as you can get so you will have good fuel flow and for the most part trouble free operation. I hope that you did explain to Vulcan that you have the AD straight to the VP. The big line kits above go from the factory fuel canister to the VP.