• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake load sensing valve

Today I was inspecting my spare tire and noticed this rod with one end attached to the drivers side rear axle but nothing was hooked to the other side. I looked it up online and found out it is a rear height sensing valve that proportions the rear brakes according to the load in the bed. I read that some people buy a bypass hose or zip tie it in an upright position to increase rear braking power. What position should I put it in? It has been hanging straight down for who knows how long. Should I just secure it to the rod and keep it in that position? Straight up? Parallel to the frame? 

• Owner

I would tie it up position. Another thing you could do is just out right remove the valve and tie the brake line together again. One of Dodge's great ideas that lasted a year or two at the best and ended up quit installing these valves. Like I said you can just remove the valve and just couple the lines together like all the other trucks are which don't have this valve.

Here is an TSB with "pic's"

TSB 05-04-98

Models: 1997-99 BR/BE trucks

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2500 SERIES 4X4 VEHICLES THAT ARE CONTINUOUSLY OPERATED A 75% OR GREATER GVW AND HAVE THEIR REAR SUSPENSION ALTERED TO INCREASE RIDE HEIGHT AND ARE BUILT AFTER THE FOLLOWING DATES:

• LAGO ALBERTO ("M" IN THE 11TH VIN POSITION) AFTER APRIL 3, 1997  MDH 0403XX
  • ST. LOUIS NORTH ("J" IN THE 11TH POSITION)  AFTER MARCH 17, 1998 MDH 0301XX
  • SALTILLIO PLANT ("G" IN THE 11TH POSITION) AFTER APRIL 3, 1997 MDH 0403XX

Discussion:

Those vehicles are equipped with a rear height sensing valve that adjusts brake pressure to the rear brakes based upon the distance between the vehicles frame and rear axle.

In situations where the vehicle is operated ALL THE TIME at or above 75% of the GVW AND the vehicle suspension has been altered, removal of the rear height sensing device may be necessary to help prolong the front pad life and provide suitable braking performance.

CAUTION:  THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED ON 2500 SERIES 4X4 VEHICLES THAT ARE CONTINUOUSLY OPERATED AT 75% OR GREATER GVW AND HAVE HAD THEIR REAR SUSPENSION ALTERED.

Parts:

1    52009575AB   HOSE, Brake

Repair:

This bulletin involves replacing the rear height sensing proportioning valve with a brake hose.

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Remove link from axle bracket (fig 1).
    • 05-04-98_1.jpg
  3. Remove the brake line adapter from the rear height sensing proportioning valve bracket (fig 2).
    • 05-04-98_2.jpg
  4. Remove the hose from the axle.
  5. Remove two nuts from frame mounting bracket and remove valve assembly.
  6. Attach new brake hose to brake line bracket on frame rail.
  7. Connect brake line at frame to new hose.
  8. Bleed the brake system.

I just done mine recently and it made a good diferance on braking. I believe it should be in about the 12:00 position for maximum braking.

By looking at your rod going from bracket on rear axle housing to valve on frame, and with max load on truck the rod would be forced to the straight position.