• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OK no laughing guys but my truck doesn't have owners manual, sooooo

Thats it, open the drain cock on the fuel filter canister into a suitable container, the water should come out first because it will be on the bottom. It was not a good idea to put this off, you could screw up your injection pump really quick. You should pull out the filter and be sure all the water is gone, and clean the probes on the water in fuel sensor, it screws into the lower side of the canister. Put it a new fuel filter and bump the key for a second, and leave it in run position with engine not running for 30 seconds, and repeat a couple of times then try to start it.

Flman is right on the money. Water can come from a number of things, diesel fuel attracts it for 1. This is hardly an issue if you drive your truck regularly, if you get your diesel at a place that doesn't have much turn around, their tanks could be forming water inside them, try using the station you see all the semi trucks running through. The only silly question are those not asked :thumbup2:

Flman is right on the money. Water can come from a number of things, diesel fuel attracts it for 1. This is hardly an issue if you drive your truck regularly, if you get your diesel at a place that doesn't have much turn around, their tanks could be forming water inside them, try using the station you see all the semi trucks running through. The only silly question are those not asked :thumbup2:

Your right, I forgot about the source of water, but for me it is second nature to go to volume stations, I don't even think about it any more. I actually have a company right down the road from me that sells home heating oil, and they put in large volume pumps and get alot of heavy truck traffic. My blonde haired wife goes there with a Jeep Diesel, and says men always get excited and warn her that she is using the wrong fuel, must be the blonde hair?:lmao2: But when I see a Moolah station with the prices 5% higher then every one else, I stay away.:stuned:

I will drain the filter tomorrow what else do you all say I need to do? How much is a new filter and how long do they last? Guy told me he had just put that one on in december when I purchased it and it cost him $50??? If I have the lift pump relay mod will it still fill the filter up without going all way on with key? Thanks guys! CD

I will drain the filter tomorrow what else do you all say I need to do? How much is a new filter and how long do they last? Guy told me he had just put that one on in december when I purchased it and it cost him $50??? If I have the lift pump relay mod will it still fill the filter up without going all way on with key? Thanks guys! CD

More like you can buy 3 at Fleetpride for $50.00. You should be able to prime it, just bump the starter with out starting it, and it runs the fuel pump 30 seconds, You can also put a jumper across the switched contacts of the relay to run the pump as long as you like. I have even run a jumper from a 12 V GP relay, to the load side of the relay, that way I don't even have to turn on the key. Do you have fuel pressure gauge, it makes it easy to see what is going on.

• Owner

Typical fleetguard fuel filters are about $12 bucks at a Cummins dealer or shop. Like where i'm at in Idaho there is lots of little Mom & Pop fuel stations that sell diesel fuel but it might sit there for months if not years (Ekkk) Then some store the fuel above ground tank with no weather cover from snow. :stuned: After seeing my WIF light once... I relized I got to stick to the big name brand fuels in the area and ask who sell the most volume. Yes I actually asked the store owners how much volume they sold... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=931 Take notice on the box it says Stratapore this is Fleetguard only function. Generic filters like Wix and Napa are just paper filter that don't separate water... But the Fleetguard filters do... (at least what the Cummins dealer was explaining to me).

• Owner

Not to hijack so napa and wix brand are not sutible fuel filters I run all wix or napa fuel filters and have been since I got the truck and am yet to see any problems with the wif light, only question are the good enough or am i dancing with the devil

Not really from what i understand... Don't get me wrong they will filter the debris out but do a poor job for water separation... My that why FASS and AirDog only work with Fleetguard filters too (Stratapore)

Guys I really appreciate your help and what I am going to tell you stays between us right?:pray: Me and my 4 year old got under hood today to do a new fuel filter, I drained, took nut loose, removed canister and filter to find my canister was full of SAND DIRT etc..... I am talking few table spoons of the stuff! I cleaned out put new orings on new filter and reinstalled it. I got to thinking where does this thing get its info on water in fuel any ways so I noticed the sensor and realized I had no harness hooked to it!!!! I think this is why every time it rained or snowed I got WATER IN FUEL LIGHT lmao!!!!!!! I found it and hooked it up ran lift pump few times and cranked right up. Thanks everyone for the help! Chris