• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

54k Fuel Filters

• Owner

Basically any "name brand" fuel station in Idaho. Chevron is my most common, Maverik is next. Every great once in awhile I buy Cennex fuels. When Bio Diesel is cheap in Oregon I'll buy from Flying J Truck Stop. I will NOT buy fuel from Mom and pop stations. Most do not keep up with pump filters, use quality pump filters (water blocking) or sell any kind of quality fuel.

• Like 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most do not keep up with pump filters, use quality pump filters (water blocking) or sell any kind of quality fuel.

I have to agree that the mom and pop stores don't have corporate to answer to about how often they change their filters but the fuel they sell is made at the same refinery as Chevron and other major brands.  The fuel sometimes has the same additives as the major brands. 

Here in San Diego county the majority of our fuel comes from a refinery in Torrance, CA , just out side of LA.  The fuel then is sent through a pipe line to a tank farm in Mission Valley,  and across the street from QUALCOMM STADEUM where the San Diego Chargers play.   There it is loaded in to tanker trucks where the brand marker or additive for Chevron, Shell, Mobile, etc.,  is or is not added, then delivered to the retailer.        

Filter look pretty good for that many miles IMO.  Brother in law drives a tanker truck around.  Usually BSing with friends at refineries.  Some of them really into diesel type science.  One of them sent him this and he sent to me.  Lots of little nuggets but most interesting to me was...

" In recent years, many retailers have moved to 10-micron porosity filters. Most high flow dispensers, such as those used at truck stops, still use 30-micron porosity filters due to flow rate concerns. As of 2014, NCWM is considering a filtration recommendation of nominal 10-micron porosity filters for passenger car and light duty diesel dispensers at service stations3." 

https://www.ncwm.net/resources/dyn/files/1293694z6889285b/_fn/LR-Item_237-3-CRC+667.pdf 

• Like 1

I'm not planning on changing my filters till I start seeing psi drop or they leak from old age. never understood why change good quality filters once a year or so many miles is recommended but never explained. unless it's a Fram, then you might as well not even put filter on.

• Like 3