• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vp44 going out!!!!!!!!

Ok,  so I been trying to search on this and I haven't found anything exact!  truck was running perfect. 2 days ago pulled into drive way and got out of truck to run in house and white smoke barreling out of exhaust  (ALOT)!! shut off truck restarted and same thing with really rough idle..  took it around the block slow acceleration boost is way late and constant white/grey smoke won't clear up even when turbo spools up, and popping out of exhaust at high rpm..  no codes with key trick pertaining to pump just 0500 and 0234..  odd thing to me from searching is no codes and it will fire right up everytime I start it. No CEL.   I pulled the injectors Sunday took them apart cleaned with lantern fuel put everything back together, (injectors and vp only have 36k), got truck started and still the exact same thing.  seems as if vp is way out of time!  just want to make sure I don't have something else going on??

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Does the issue go away once the truck is warm?  It sure sounds like a stuck timing piston.  Have you dumped some 2 stroke in the tank to see if you can free up the piston?

No it doesn't clear up at all..  it will literally cloud out the entire road

1 hour ago, dripley said:

can you tell us a little more about the truck, like year, auto or manual, type of lift pump with pressures idle and wot. It would be helpful.

01 6 speed  fass 150 17psi idle 14 wot, vp, injectors and motor were all built at 36k ago

Does the cloud smell like of diesel fuel or anti freeze ? Check your codes with a code reader. The key trick does not always retrieve everything. Even my 02 that reads both computers does not always get them all.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Does the cloud smell like of diesel fuel or anti freeze ? Check your codes with a code reader. The key trick does not always retrieve everything. Even my 02 that reads both computers does not always get them all.

It smells like normal exhaust to me.  I will check the codes tonight with a scanner.  I thought forsure it would have kicked the CEL with a 0216 but still nothing!  just kind of odd that it fires on the 1st kick even if it sits over night.

15 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would check to make sure that the Key in the pump shaft hasn't broke , crushed etc.  It sure sounds like a timing issue.  

I checked the key, I took the nut off the shaft and took a pic of it.  you can see the key clear as day.  I tried to upload the pic but it failed

36 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Sounds just like when my timing piston got stuck....Do you have warranty on the pump?

I'm just going to get another pump I think!  the builder and I don't speak anymore.....  so I think I may have to just bight the bullet.  I'm hoping it's the vp and not a burnt valve or piston if that can cause those symptoms??  that vp would be the best case scenario between the 3...

When your timing piston stuck TFarro.  did it still start with no problem and no CEL??

15 minutes ago, dripley said:

Dropping a grand and hoping can get expensive. Who did you buy the VP from?

When your timing piston stuck TFarro.  did it still start with no problem and no CEL??

Definitely " dripley "  I agree 100%..  it's kinda looking in that direction since I have checked everything lse and pretty much everything is still new! 

I would definitely try some 2 stroke and see if it frees the timing piston up. Not that that will be a fix all but it would at least identify the problem. Put it in heavy and see if it helps. It is unusual for a VP to go with no codes but it has happened.

• Like 1

I would definitely try some 2 stroke and see if it frees the timing piston up. Not that that will be a fix all but it would at least identify the problem. Put it in heavy and see if it helps. It is unusual for a VP to go with no codes but it has happened.

Yes I will try that out..  Thank you so much for everything !!

I would definitely try some 2 stroke and see if it frees the timing piston up. Not that that will be a fix all but it would at least identify the problem. Put it in heavy and see if it helps. It is unusual for a VP to go with no codes but it has hap

10 hours ago, babyethan1 said:

I'm just going to get another pump I think!  the builder and I don't speak anymore.....  so I think I may have to just bight the bullet.  I'm hoping it's the vp and not a burnt valve or piston if that can cause those symptoms??  that vp would be the best case scenario between the 3...

My first pump locked up with no warning... like stopped the engine very quickly from 2800rpm.

2nd pump lasted 5 miles, then threw a code p0216 - injection pump timing failure. It blew white smoke and wouldn't go over 30mph.

3rd pump blew white smoke all over and never cleared up - no code either. 

Do me a favor and see if your tank is pressurized. Pop the cap loose and stuff a rag around it to keep debris out. Then drive around with it stopping and shutting the engine off multiple times. See if this clears up the smoke issue.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TFaoro said:

My first pump locked up with no warning... like stopped the engine very quickly from 2800rpm.

2nd pump lasted 5 miles, then threw a code p0216 - injection pump timing failure. It blew white smoke and wouldn't go over 30mph.

3rd pump blew white smoke all over and never cleared up - no code either. 

Do me a favor and see if your tank is pressurized. Pop the cap loose and stuff a rag around it to keep debris out. Then drive around with it stopping and shutting the engine off multiple times. See if this clears up the smoke issue.....

Ok "TFaoro"  I'm going to overdose it with 2stroke and I'll drive the S&#T out of it with the cap off..  

14 hours ago, babyethan1 said:

Ok "TFaoro"  I'm going to overdose it with 2stroke and I'll drive the S&#T out of it with the cap off..  

Hey there "Tfaoro"..  so dosed it real good with 2stroke went for a long drive on hwy..  still smoked horribly and popped and ran horrible, now really loud knock form engine can't tell if it's in the head or rod or vp!?  please tell me I didn't just blow up my motor?