• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P or LT tires on 2013 Silverado 1500 1/2 Ton

About time to get some new tires on the company truck, 2013 Silverado 1500 1/2 ton, about 60k miles on these BFGoodrich Rugged Terrains P275/55R20s. Any advantage going to LT tires? I have maxed out payload and towing with this vehicle, although I don't load it up every week. Only issue I keep having is punctured tires from nails/metal.

• 6 months later...

CT,

What I have found is the Passenger rated tires, while riding well, don't give me the confidence when pulling or loaded heavy.  (sidewalls seem soft.)  We have put a set on Helga's suburbasaurus, and for family trips and other stuff it is fine, but I won't pull a trailer over 1k lbs with it.   Snow and rain have been fine though.  So we are happy with them, but I definitely wouldn't put them on the rattle monster. 

Just my $0.02    hope it helps

Hag

Wow,

Sorry CT!!!   I didn't notice the date!   Didn't mean to drag something out of the Crypt.  It showed up as unread.  I guess it had been awhile since I browsed this part of the forum.  

Hope the new ones work great for you!!

Hag

• 1 year later...

I just swapped the P275/55r20s for some LT275/70r17 Es on my 2018 chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4. Door sticker says run 35psi for the P tires, do I need to run higher pressures for the Es for daily driving? 35psi on the Ps wore well on my other 1/2 ton, while 40-42psi wore the centers out quicker. But 35psi with these Es makes the front tires squat like crazy so now I’m running 40-45psi and it still feels a little squishy...

3DD81F39-FFC4-410A-A87A-6E87D96C96D5.jpeg.ea520ad04d9207d5a4e0c13735ca93f7.jpeg

• Staff

New tires often feel squishy for 500-1000 miles, so it may not be the air pressure. A 70 series sidewall will also flex a lot more than a 55 series. 

I use this chart quite often. 

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

Top of page 23 has your tire size. 

35 psi will give you 4000lbs per axle, loaded evenly. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff
54 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Scales are needed for either method.

To do it properly yes, but you can set it for GAWR and watch the wear pattern. Luckily on a 1/2 ton the empty weight and the GAWR won’t be that different. 

I’d guess 35 is where he ends up for even wear. 

• Staff

Absolutely, but finding a scale isn’t always that feasible for many people. 

There are plenty of good ways to determine proper pressure without a scale. I like the chart as a starting point if you don’t have easy/free access to a scale. 

I wouldn’t go much below 30 anyhow for any rig that might see 55+ frequently, regardless of weight. 

• Owner

Just remember GAWR is the absolute maximum weight of the axles. So even using that number it will be below that specified pressure.

As for scales... Just in my travels, I know of at least 4 free scales I pass 3 times a week. Truck scales are every where and if you simply ask a lot of times the shop or shop will hand write down your numbers. Like I know of another scale on a public road in Nyssa, ID you can access and scale on your own. There is another trucker scale over in Horsebend, ID that is always on. Just drive up and look at the display. Scales are everywhere just most people just don't think about it.

• Staff
2 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

I just hit an individual wheel scale at our test site today, I’ll do the math later

1320 and 1430 for the rears

1720 and 1730 for the fronts

that’s 6,200

Those weights are off the bottom of the chart. 

Run 35 psi and see how it wears.