• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heads up on factory replacement rear glass

I had a leak problem with a factory replacement back sliding glass two years ago when I had the original replaced since I accidentally knocked a hole in it with a piece of firewood. 

The leak returned about a week ago and i saw where the track for the slider itself had worked loose on the glass itself and caused the leak and causing the back window track to flop around when you slide it open/closed. 

My glass guy, who has been in business 30 years said he ordered another replacement glass from factory (chrysler) and it had the same problem. 

He called them and told them to fix the problem and ship him a good one and the same thing again. That's 3 faulty rear sliding glasses and a week with my truck in the glass shop.  Anybody looking to replace a rear glass might want to consider an aftermarket replacement back glass if you need one to avoid going through this problem. Just heads up guys!

• Like 2

Update: The third sliding glass that came in had a drain plug clogged up and the slider track was not glued in at all so we would have same problem again.

i decided that I'd go with a solid rear window but it has to be tinted so that is going to cost me so I just figured I'd just go ahead and tint power windows too. That will help keep the temps down in a black truck. Am aftermarket slider also would not fit like a solid. Solid and the factory slider windows fit flush. Aftermarket sliders have a lip that seals outside the opening and I want it to look more stock. End of update! 

• Like 2

I have an aftermarket slider because of your issues and to make you laugh there is only one glass shop around here that will work on the back window of a second gen ram...  oh and yes it does stick out about a quarter of an inch but with my topper you'd never know not to mention it was switched to a large one piece window in stead of two halfs

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
  • Like 2

I have the slider in mine and only opened twice. Once when I bought and once about 5 years later when a pressure washer in the bed smashed into it during a rather abrupt stop. Both of them landed in the front seat. I snapped them back in and dont think I have opened them since.

When we traded in the wife's 2000 Dakota for an 06 we picked one that did not have them. She finally noticed and got a little upset about it. She finally was convinced she did not need them when I explained to her that the only time she used them was for me to crawl thru when she locked her keys in the car. She never latched them.

I had a regular cab with the slider and liked it a lot. It was nice riding down the road in the winter with it open. Hard to do in an extended or crew cab unless it is power operated.  

• Like 1