• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Someone who was doing a auto-> manual swap asked similar Q in CF.

Response by someone was

leave the auto plug in the wire under the dash and leave the nss wire on the clutch linkage unhooked and you need to ground the black/white wire in the transmission wire harness as this is the ground wire for the starter relay. The neutral safety switch on the auto is the ground for the starter relay and the clutch safety switch on a manual breaks the start wire between the ignition switch and the start relay.

It was a 99 tho ....... but think he says here the black+white wires. I will need to check it out - not by truck right no - maybe in 2 hours - researching now and trying to call the company I bought from for ideas.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

OK we got it fixed.

Took a washer out on the outside between the case and the NS switch. Allowed us to plug the switch into the body a few more mm and get a good connection. Then we ticked over the engine and she wants to start.

So going ahead - will update soon

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Hey

Took it for a ride - seemed a bit firmer and better.

Main concern so far is the temperatures. I need to maek sure the TC is locking up.

W+F - qq - I added the hotline with probe to the tranny cooler ..... and my temps are at least 40-60 degrees hotter there. So when I was running today (90 degree day) - the temps hit 180 in the mechanic guage test port - and 240 on the edge juice in that port on the hot cooler line.

Needless to say I pulled over - whats the acceptable range for this port ?

thanks

john

If it was at 240 at the hot line that is way to hot, you should see in the same range as what the engine temp is unless you are sitting in stop and go traffic for long periods ect with it in gear it will get a bit hotter but not that hot, I would keep it under 220. What port are you talking about for the mechanical gauge? The one on the passenger side, servo port? If you saw 180 there and 240 at the hot line is about right but it is getting too hot for some reason, did you recheck the oil level?

Hey mate - ok here's the info I am going to talk with vendor tomorrow. I am prepared for a new trans - thats kinda why I wanted to do this part myself cause I wanted to learn and half expect I may need to get a tranny guy to install trans.Anyway - this is what happens - thanks again for all the help guysAnytime the TC is not locked up - the truck feels really laboured - almost like the e-brake is on - or I am not in low enough gear, or something slipping. This is where the heat builds and quick - like 150 -210 in 3 miles (in the hotline).A soon as the TC locks in - the power feels good - and the temps drop dramatically - like from 210 down to 170 in minutes. And good power.I am now throwing P1762+p1763 which I think areP1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage P1763 Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage Too HighI know you can adjust the fuel pressure in the VB if its too high, I also know you can replace the goveror pressure sensor etc - but this VB should have all new electronics ( I paid extra for that - but will confirm exactly was was done tomorrow)

Sorry to hear all of your bad luck and this is why I hat my auto when I had problems overheating I had to dig one of the rubber check balls out that I forgot about thank god it was that easy but I still think that upgraded vavle bodys in a porley designed transmissions just isnt the ticket I need a new tranny and I am just pushing mine out I dont know what others think but I would the cooling systems for our trannys is there demise I wish I had something intelligent to say to help you out but its probably a pinched or cut wire in a bs connection as mike kinda indicated they make these things to darn complex now days at least for some (computer controlled 24 valves and auto):lmao:

Sorry to hear all of your bad luck and this is why I hat my auto when I had problems overheating I had to dig one of the rubber check balls out that I forgot about thank god it was that easy but I still think that upgraded vavle bodys in a porley designed transmissions just isnt the ticket I need a new tranny and I am just pushing mine out I dont know what others think but I would the cooling systems for our trannys is there demise I wish I had something intelligent to say to help you out but its probably a pinched or cut wire in a bs connection as mike kinda indicated they make these things to darn complex now days at least for some (computer controlled 24 valves and auto):lmao:

Yeah - I wish I had bought a good manual 12v now and just wacked in a good flywheel and clutch - lmao. Anyway - spoke with my guy - he's gonna send another valve body - he said we could both spend too much time trying to figure it out - so it'll ship tomorrow. Gonna have a mechanic do this one - can't afford spilling any more atf fluid on my mates parents house - and I can't do any work here - rv park. Was an interesting exercise for someone 6 months ago hadn't even changed brake pads on his car to now dropping the tranny/TC/VB :) Was fun - would I do it again - not quickly :) Now I just need to find a half decent tranny guy near STL MO ........ :shrug: Going for the mosts posts in single thread moparman history :lmao2:

Did you pinch a wire during install??? :shrug: A lot of times when you short a wire to ground it creates a HI volt code...

Actually a pinched wire would be a dead short to ground and would throw a low voltage code an open or cut wire is what throws a high voltage code.

So if my truck is in limp mode with those codesCan I clear it by leaving the -ve battery cables diconnected ??any ideas ? Just want to get it out of limp mode when I drive it to the tranny guy to do my new VB rather than trying to start in 3rd each time.

Nope if it is in limp it will keep going to limp until the problem is fixed. When I did my BD VB it had a bad solenoid from BD and did the same thing and I had to replace it with another. Funny how electrical components can give fits out of the blue.

Nope if it is in limp it will keep going to limp until the problem is fixed. When I did my BD VB it had a bad solenoid from BD and did the same thing and I had to replace it with another. Funny how electrical components can give fits out of the blue.

I don't know what to say .........except :cry: At least its happened to someone else - I thought man what are the chances it happens to a noob - yet I was really careful (and it aint that hard from above) - might be a bit different from the bottom with those dastardly e-clips My local mechanic wants $200 for a VB install and tranny flush - and thats me supplying the tranny fluid. ....... I like the guy but he wasn't sure how to do the tranny flush - so I am thinking I need to find a decent tranny guy - just in case issues moving forward. onward and ?upward?

• 2 weeks later...

Not MIA - just had nothing to talk about as too depressed about my truck - still on the bench.

So have replaced new torque converter and VB. Then threw p1762+p1763. They sent me another VB with new solenoids but lower pressure and she acted screwy but no codes.

Now they want me to put back the original VB that threw codes - and they are going to play with the line pressure as well as add a resisistor to the PCM if required (input/line 31 or something).

So will see how that goes :pray:............... beyond that I am not sure ............... might have to order a new tranny and just be done with it:cry:

:)

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

Here is a very similar thread/situation if any1 interested :)

Will know more friday.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/186150-47re-line-pressure-gov-pressure-issues.html

Apparently the new VB are not meant to require the resistor - but thats where we are heading - once we check the voltage with the VB back in.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

oooooooooohhhhhhhhh ............... it might be fixed

mechanic said he added some more tranny fluid - and things much better ............... no codes, have 1st gear back ............ gonna get him to drive a little more and then I am going out to check the shifts and temps :):pray:

If all good - PARTY AT MY HOUSE !!!!! (well .... RV) :lmao2:

Woo Hoo - ok ISX - we need a boys fishing trip :) Picked up the truck - shifts like a dream all gears nice and firm.Temps on the hot line around 160-175 when cruising, maximum I have seen is 198 when stop/start. So all looks good - still breaking her in a little :) W+F - what temps are ok on the hot line when towing up a hill ??? Its amazing how much more idea of temps you get from this than the silly test port which just kinda sits in the middle not matter what. So I am all on board with that great tip. Will monitor and update - then gonna do a writeup (clean) of everything from start to finish :) Including the awesome service I got from the company - RevMax - but will hold out for at least a week or so to see it all stays same :) WOO HOO :burnout:

W+F - what temps are ok on the hot line when towing up a hill ??? Its amazing how much more idea of temps you get from this than the silly test port which just kinda sits in the middle not matter what. So I am all on board with that great tip.

Glad to hear it finally came together for ya. Temps will vary greatly depending on conditions,load, ambient temp, speed, weather or not the tc is locked or not ect. It would be safest to keep it under 220. Higher temps for a very short time with synthetic oil won't hurt it but not too often if so more frequent oil changes are needed. If its over 220 I would let it cool down a bit before continuing.

Glad to hear it finally came together for ya. Temps will vary greatly depending on conditions,load, ambient temp, speed, weather or not the tc is locked or not ect. It would be safest to keep it under 220. Higher temps for a very short time with synthetic oil won't hurt it but not too often if so more frequent oil changes are needed. If its over 220 I would let it cool down a bit before continuing.

Yeah put in a drain valve so I can change fluid more frequently for that very reason. Anyone apart from Jim(SASQCH) use an auxilliary tranny cooler ? Any recommendations ? ta dudes

In my neck of the country extra tranny coolers are not needed much. If a rig spant a lot of time in stop and go traffic or towing in such I would be more prone to steer people towards dual electric fans versus adding extra coolers.

:thumbup2: will check that out - cost and ease of install

• Owner

In my neck of the country extra tranny coolers are not needed much. If a rig spant a lot of time in stop and go traffic or towing in such I would be more prone to steer people towards dual electric fans versus adding extra coolers.

I tend to agree... I think the reason why the stop and go traffic is so hard on it is because there is little to no air movment... Kind of like riding my Goldwing in Boise, ID traffic. It would climb the temp gauge quick and high... But I added a toggle switch to force the fan on. Well that cured most of the problems with slow driving in towns... But for a Cummins since the fan is belt driven your going to need a electric fan like W&F mention...