• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

fuel system setup Q's

I am going to be running an AirDog 150. I'm going to retain my stock fuel filter due to the fact that I live in the norther states and a fuel heater really helps. my questione is i can get a Big Line kit from Vulcan from the fuel filter to the IP, it comes in 3/8" or 1/2" lines, I'm wondering which would be better for me? I'm thinkingthe 1/2"?

thats how i got mine run on my truck you will get lots of 1/2 hose left over from your install just buy the fitting,s ,filter /pump and use your left over 1/2 hose your airdog 150 comes with 1/2 line kit no need to buy one just the extra two fittings

I agree on the freezing part of the AirDog. If you don't keep the fuel/water separating filter purged of water on a regular basis and purge it BEFORE the onslaught of sudden extreme cold weather, you will indeed be stranded with a frozen fuel system. A friend had that happen to him this last winter here in Tennessee. He fogot to purge the fuel/water separating fuel filter. The truck was parked too far away to use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the fuel/water separating filter. Or a apply hot water to the filter. The truck sat until warmer weather. On the other hand, the OEM fuel filter housing does warm the fuel up and work to prevent the fuel from gelling or fuel lines freezing once the truck has been put into service for the day. It's "6 or one or a half dozen of the other". In many cases, the fuel is adequately treated not to gel but water in the fuel is a "whole nuther story". The OEM fuel cannister is not going to help with that. It only takes a small amount of water to put you out of service. In area's that encounter very or extreme cold weather, I personally would keep the OEM fuel cannister as an extra measure of protection. In most cases, you should be fine without it though.

• Owner

Like here is Idaho I'm been checking directly with fuel provider and found that on average the cloud point is 32*F for summer fuel. Funny part is our morning temp float right close to 29*F to 35*F yet. So as you drive you see a mild loss in fuel pressure. Now I've kept my stock filter housing and it does help in warming the fuel up in the tank. So in about 15 miles the fuel pressure starts to rise. Now theeletric heater runs till 60-70*F and shuts down. So after that the filter housing heats the fuel by heat soak from the block.

when i got my airdog 150, the instructions said to skip the factory canister. i have read that the vp44 has a fuel temp sensor inside it. so i decided to plumb it back in. i did all this before the cold hit this winter. yesterday will trying to figure out why my turn signals didn't work, i found out the the fuse for the fuel element was out. the relay for that was scorching hot. those funny fuse are expensive.long story short....make sure the canister works before spending $ to plumb it in